2.20.2006

Ready......Set...

Set Piece #1 in the bag...spent about 8 hours on it start to finish. Its about 3 ft long, 3.5 ft tall with the trees. Started with styrofoam, layered three long pieces, wrapped the whole thing in wire mesh, and sprayed it black. For the trees, I came up with a really quick and easy way to mass produce them. I lay out a piece of PVC pipe, approx. 2" diameter. Bend a strip of wiremesh longways on top of the pipe. Stretch a strip of plaster cloth on top of the mesh, bunch it to give it some shape, let it harden, and viola...trees.
I used 2 bags of moss to cover the black wire and styrofoam base, after attaching the two trees, then started adding some small details like the picket fence and 'no trespassing' sign. There will be another piece like this on the opposite side of the cabin, then four progressively smaller versions in front of it making a path to the cabin. The mossy parts need more variation tonally, I may try spraypaint, a light mist over certain areas. Drybrushing won't work because the moss sheds.
I am also considering using backdrops instead of greenscreen effects. This might give me an opportunity to incorporate some painting or charcoal work, and would give me a little more control over the backgrounds, allow me to create more depth with less work. Most of the water effects will be greenscreen and/or digital, so 'scenic backdrops' seem like the more interesting route. May have one ready for a test vid next week...

4 comments:

Hector said...

Looking goooooooooooooooooooooooood!!
You should start doing video production diaries. I heard they worked out great for this other movie maker guy...
Picked up Corpse Bride this week, I want to make puppets now.

Sami said...

wow jeff! your soo talented.. i cant wait to see your work in theatre!!!

Ale said...

You got some talent there man....I envy you :P
The set is looking good! I don't know if you're going to have characters walking around there, but remember tie-downs!
Also you should think of customizing a bit your site...I've seen a thousand blogs with that default template, and it's not eye catching at all....
Congrats man...that's looking really pro!
Ale StopMotion

Ubatuber said...

Yeah, I 've tampered a little bit with the Blogger template, but at the end of the day I decided that less is more, the work should be the focus. Plus, I have a full-time job, so I figure, time spent learning to tweak Blogger could be better spent updating, or better yet, working on that unfinished Jenny puppet that has been staring me dead in the eye for two months :)