3.08.2006

the Physics of Jenny

...so I've spent a lot of time staring at my Jenny puppet, imagining her coming to life, and working out some theories about the physics of an undead water witch...theories I hope to apply to the animation style that I chose for Jenny, when it comes time for her big moment...I've been doing some animation tests with her, to get a feel for the puppet and test out my skill, tests that should be ready to post tonight, after I do a couple more...so where was I......theories......physics! It goes something like this...being an underwater creature, Jenny is in her natural habitat at the bottom of the lake, where her scrawny bones and skull are supported by gallons upon gallons of black lake water...when she surfaces to catch the little girl, she no longer has that support...her movement becomes erratic, jerky, she pulls herself across the pier because she physically can't stand or walk on land...but shes hungry for something other than fish so she is relentless...visually I want her movement on the pier to be reminiscent of Kayako on the stairs at the end of Juon (or The Grudge), which is going to take a lot of practice, and maybe some unconventional puppet-making...
I've also come up with a little gimmick to dress up the cabin a bit, and make a little more sense of it...the cabin is now an old, broken down Bait and Tackle shop...I'm going to add a few old nets, maybe some rusty fishing poles, etc., and a sign that reads "Live Bait"...fitting for the story I think...I like it so much it may be my title (I can already see the close-up of the sign at the beginning of the short, incorporating the title credit into the actual set instead of layering it on top afterwards)...more later...

3 comments:

Ale said...

Hey!
I think that you won't have trouble animating jerky moves...you just gotta skip some frames and that's it...It's like animating badly, moving things more far away than you should between shots

Ale StopMotion

Darkstrider said...

Hey, nice thinking! I can picture her swaying with the currents, at home in that environment where black water sludge gradually becomes dense earth, and then being weak when she claws her way out into the air.

I don't know if you've seen the Newbie Guide chapter I posted recently about the 12 principles of animation (or if you've encountered them already), but you really should pay attention to them, especially secondary movement, follow-through for that watery waving motion. At the end of the chapter are some links, in particular you should check out the one at Animated Cartoon Factory, with examples of how to do a flowing, seaweed-like movement.

Ubatuber said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tips!