4.29.2006

Introductions and Puppet Failure

Been away from the computer a lot this week, but have added a new link to my growing list of BlogBrothers&Sisters, take a minute to check out Objects At Rest, and watch the trailer for DG's current short, "Man Drawing a Reclining Woman", which is mingling with festival bigwigs as we speak...also have been in touch this week with one of my Tulane classmates who was relocated across the Atlantic after the storm, and has just returned to the states with a new series. Check her stuff out here...Veronica Leandrez...
Received my copy of BrothersQuayCollection vol1 from Netflix, gonna absorb that today...

Also this week....little girl test puppet #1, meet little girl test puppet #2....maybe I should call her version 1.5, since she is not that sturdy...tried to find epoxy putty at a few hardware stores this week with no luck, though its hard to find ANYTHING in a hardware store around here right now, with the rebuilding...so I got frustrated and used sculpey again for the bones, then latex buildup (she is a little bulky, a little 'Popeye' in the forearms :)...I got my completed set piece all ready for a walk test, and after two steps, her right foot broke AAARGH (the sculpey split and out flew the tie-down).....so I spent some time last night fixin' her up a bit (superglue always at hand) and I'm gonna have another go today and tomorrow, if she holds up (fingers crossed).....also realized it will be virtually impossible to animate a walk/run without a framegrabber, so these early tests will not be great, mostly just for me to get used to working with tie-downs...here is the tiny bit of footage I got so far, before the broken ankle...

3 comments:

sven said...

Man, you make me want to send a care package down to all the animators who got hit by Katrina.

Imagine: The big 16-wheeler truck pulls up, the back door is flung open...

"Good news, the box of epoxy putty has arrived! Now, everyone, we're going to have to ration this until normal distribution is up and running again. So, women and children -- and little girl puppets for horror films -- first!"

Ubatuber said...

Yeah, that'd be awesome! You can't imagine the line I had to wait in to buy $2.00 worth of tie-down supplies at Lowe's. There are a couple of hobby stores open that I can check for the epoxy clay, but their prices are higher...shouldn't be writing here now, need to start animating...want to post some walky clips tonight (ok realistically tomorrow)

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»