4.21.2006

Red Stick

Today was the first day of the Red Stick Festival, and I should be asleep by now but I think I need to get this post out first. It was great to be around so many people with a love of animation, all in one place, pros, amateurs, and fans alike. My brain was overloaded with short after short, including a dozen or so entries from the Animex Festival in Middlesbrough, England, too many for me to even remember or document or do justice to here, I'm very sorry for that...there was a great sight gag involving two puppets being shocked in that ol' LooneyTunes way, only instead of seeing their bones, we see their armatures...very cool...but really, a disappointing lack of stopmotion, heavy on the 3D/CGI stuff...The highlight for me was seeing a sneak preview, in-progress cut of "Over the Hedge"...It was awesome to see some scenes unfinished, missing lighting or textures or color, and as far as the movie itself goes, let me just say that Hammy steals the show (voiced by Steve Carell, who I hear may be up for the Joker in the next Batman flic? don't quote me on that but it just might be casting genious)...also lending voices to Hedge's cast are William Shatner, Eugene Levy, and...well let's face it, I'd pay to watch Catherine O'Hara boil water. After the film, we heard from director Karey Kirkpatrick, who is a native Louisianian, and has worked on Chicken Run and James and the Giant Peach among others...very cool guy, sat through a barrage of questions, many of which came from tiny little future animators with inquiries like "How come Hammy has to pee a lot?"...after the Q&A I managed to slip him a card and talk with him very briefly, as there was a slowly growing crowd of people behind me...then I headed out for that 2 hour ride home......mesmerizing nighttime highway stripes are evil...

2 comments:

herself said...

Hi Jeffery!!! Your tests are looking fantastic!! My email to you bounced. Would you please email me?

Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»