4.19.2006

Reflective Light Test


Watch the video
This is mostly me being curious and experimental, trying to get a watery-surface-reflective-light-thing going on, as if she's staring off the end of the pier into the lake...I don't think I'm going to need a shot as drastic as this, because the story takes placein daylight...gloomy stormy wintery daylight, but still daylight...and since most of the story is set near water's edge, I wouldn't want to have to do this for every other shot or anything...but you never know......basically I wrapped a large piece of foil around my tripod just under the camera, crinkled it up, and aimed a light at it...moved it around each frame, but tried to keep the light bouncingup onto her from below...its a little jerky, but with an orange light this could make a great 'campfire' kind of lighting setup...

5 comments:

Ale said...

WOW man! This stuff is awesome!
You really got the mood going!
However I feel there's something wrong in the animation....it jumps a lot...

I know you want it that way with the monster, but the girl also does it....

Also the movement of the fish is really good, specially the last jump...But you need to work a bit more on the Photoshoping :D

See ya

Ale Stop Motion

Ubatuber said...

ALE! Welcome back brother, haven't seen you in awhile! Yeah, the photoshopping was more difficult than I expected, too time-consuming, having to clone around the design of the pier etc. Definitely need to keep working on that. I know the girl is jumpy in the reflective test, since the test was more about the lighting for me and less about animating the puppet. And the Jenny puppet is just too cumbersome, too heavy, so my next version of her will be a latex skin, probably slush cast, with a more professional armature inside. The more I animate, the less I can tolerate the test puppets, they just aren't flexible enough...

Ale said...

Yeah, I know what you mean...
Definetily tests have to be done with the real puppet.

And expect my new short by the weekend! I've been doing LOTS of photoshoping and editing, but it's close to being ready!

See ya

Darkstrider said...

What a treat, popping in here to find all these tests to watch! The reflective water effect looks fantastic! And I'm lovin' the replacement eyes.

Ubatuber said...

Thanks! Replacement eyes are much better than a bead and a pin, at least for this puppet, I'm lovin' em too...