5.19.2006

DelToro's Blog

Guillermo Del Toro, director of Hellboy, The Devil's Backbone (among others), and the upcoming Pan's Labyrinth (which looks amazing), has started a 'fan blog'...he doesn't discuss his films, or the making of, rather uses his blog to discuss his favorite artists, and he is a TRUE connoisseur...some great names on his list, including some I was not aware of and can thank him for helping me discover....click the link at the bottom of this post to visit his blog...he doesn't post pics or media files of any sort, expects the viewer to do research on his or her own, which, really, is half the fun...

GDT's Fan Blog

4 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow, thanks so much for posting about Del Toro's blog! I had no idea he was bloggin. And how totally cool to discover he's a huge fan of Symbolism, my favorite art movement. I have a couple of huge tomes of Symbolist art that are among my most treasured possessions.

I love this quote from one of his entries:

You, see? in this day and age we confuse hip smartness with intelligence and callousness with a point of view of the world. Knowing it all seems to be the way to gauge an artist´s worth.

But Schwabe, Redon, Rops et al- celebrate not knowing. They, in fact, celebrate the twilight of our knowledge… to them, the supernatural is absolutely real and mistery is the supreme goal of art.

Ubatuber said...

Yeah, I'm lovin' his bloggin', hope he keeps it up.
I've completely fallen in love with "The Old Woman in the Wood" by Arthur Rackham....grotesque beauty...inspiring...

herself said...

Good stuff. I searched as I must, ney MUST, and found this http://www.symbolistart.net/schwabe.php

Schweet, thanks, Jeffery!

Ubatuber said...

Yep, yep, Schwabe's "Death and the Gravedigger" is one of my faves...