5.24.2006

Jenny II, Pre-Sculpt Armature

...took a page out of Sven's book (and the SMA Handbook) and made myself a little puppet-sculpt platform...had a wooden filing cabinet unassembled that was missing pieces (I think I picked it up at the side of the road, where I get a lot of my scraps, etc), the top of which was perfect for my little platform, the recess of space underneath is just wide enough to fit tie-downs, yay!....all I had to do was drill the holes...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
...tonight I started work on the next generation of Jenny (lookie, lookie....legs!), built the pre-sculpt armature...decided to go with wooden blocks for the ribcage and pelvis so as not to waste too much of my coveted 1/16" armature wire...made the hands quite a bit smaller, a little more proportional, and left space for the tie-downs I plan on placing there in the finished puppet...not sure whether they should go in the 'palm' area or at the wrist, any ideas? it seems if they are at the wrists, I may have trouble animating...going to go over this armature with plasticine, totally resculpt her torso & arms, give her some legs and fins/feet, then make a 2- or 3-piece mold, which will hopefully be filled with some kind of foam latex eventually (gonna watch Sven very carefully in the coming weeks/months...) I'm hoping I won't have to re-sculpt the head, trying to figure a way around doing that b/c I'm very happy with her present head...I'm thinking I can make another solid rubber latex head using the first mold, attach that to the new clay sculpt before making the new mold...might lose a little detail though, and I don't want to have to scrap the whole thing b/c the head is shoddy...........maybe I'll just resculpt the damn thing....definitely have a better sense of her size now that she can stand next to Nola...will probably start the sculpting tomorrow...in any case I don't expect to have a finished puppet here for awhile, just eager to do the sculpt, and maybe the mold too...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

8 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow, Jeffrey's been a busy boy lately! All I did today is post about 50 times at the message board and a few blogs! Well, and I ordered some Almalloy and some Thumb Screws for the Radke puppets that I'll be starting very soon. Seeing you and Sven and Shelley making puppets and doing animation and all is really getting me fired up.

The pre-sculptature looks good. I like the size difference between Jenny and Nola... very powerful. One thing that concerns me a bit about it though.... you might want to round off the corners of those chest/pelvis blocks before you slap any clay on her. The corners might protrude a bit farther than you suspect. It's murder to get partway through a sculpt only to run into armature parts sticking out too far! Proper armature proportioning is the most important thing in ensuring a good sculpt.

Also, have you considered silicone for the final puppet? I've been in heavy research mode for a few days and I'm just about ready to start buying my materials. I plan to keep arms and legs really skinny to minimize the weight factor.

Darkstrider said...

Oh, and I would definitely go with palm tie-downs. You might want to pay particular attention to this thread.

mefull said...

Jeffery,

I second Mike's palm not wrist suggestion for the tie down.

If I was the size of your Nola puppet and saw Jenny II, I would be freaked out! Nice proportions.
Scary stuff indeed considering her fate. I really like the head sculpt and Jenny's one good eye
or maybe its Jenny's only eye :-) Creepy!

Ubatuber said...

...so thumbnuts instead of hex bolts? will have to try them out, look a little more secure than the hex bolts...
did a little research on silicone, definitely an option to consider, but I don't like the apparent difficulty in mending a silicone puppet...I worry that if I am too obsessed with keeping the puppet pristine and intact, I won't take risks with the animation...then again MsGreenteeth is only going to have a fraction of screentime compared to Nola (only in full view in the last couple of minutes out of a 10-15 minute short), so really I shouldn't need to mend her unless some horrible unforseen tragedy strikes....knock on wood...still have tons of research to do though, as usual ;)

herself said...

Rocking, Jeffery, Great progress. And I, like Mike, am encouraged by everyone's action. Maybe we should call ourselves, "The Eggs" as in egging eachother on? Yay for us.

Ale said...

Hey there guys!
As I got really no progress done stopmotionaly talking, I can't show you anything...

But here you got what I've been up to at University...

This one is a self portrait done with white chalk in black paper...as it was the first time using this technique, and the second time I drew myself, that man you see there doesn't look like me at all xD...but I think it turned out pretty good
Self Portrait

This other one is shoe I had to design (well, really is a modification of a Converse All Star)...the thing was to do something for an especific porpose, and I said 'What da hell! I'm gonna do a shoe for playing guitar'. Here are the results xD
Rn'R shoe

Amazingly, the teachers liked both of them :o

See ya!

Darkstrider said...

Hmmm... problems with thumb nuts for palms though... too thick. You could grind them down a bit, but it might be easier in the long run to just cut some aluminum and tap out a hole in it.

Ale, I love the shoe design! Can't make out everything under "Functional Modifications" and "Aesthetic Modifications", but it sure looks cool!

Ubatuber said...

Good stuff, Ale...keep workin' at it and your self-portraits will improve drastically......nice 'sparkle' in the eyes.....you should see my first self-portraits, they are just awful...have had to do a ton of them though...had to do some strange ones too...for life drawing we had to do a full-body nude self-portrait as our final...well that was one hell of a day in class, let me tell you...also have done one of me as the Mona Lisa...kinda funny...