5.06.2006

Tie Me Up, Tie Me Down

I spent a lot of time this week trying to clean/organize the spare room, making ready for my stop-motion workspace and studio space. Here's a pic of the room now, I wish I had taken a better 'before' pic when I had started cleaning it out so you could see how bad it was to begin with...

This week I got the table moved in, it was in our kitchen but we just got a hand-me-down from my sister, which is smaller and nicer and leaves more space in the kitchen, so it worked out :D...with the exception of my workout machine (see how much use thats getting) and my wife's sewing machine, everything else in the room ammounts to supplies which needs to be organized and artwork which needs to be properly stored...the window will be covered, the table will be moved more into the center of the room, with a boosted up stage (I'm thinking about chest-level) so that I can access tie-downs. The pier will extend out from the tabletop set, and the underwater set will be built to slip underneath the pier, on the floor in front of the table, for any fancy ambitious overhead pier shots that I might want to experiment with...

Spent a few hours working on that miniature set/shadowbox that I had mentioned, when I realized that I was pretty much wasting time...it would be cool to have, and I may complete it at some point, but I could better spend my time working on a cardboard actual-size set to move around and test out...also spent some time thinking about where my tie-downs are going to be...mostly along the shoreline and pier, there probably won't be any walking around in the back areas of the set (the cabin and large tree set pieces that Ive started working on)...

Here's my idea for the pier tie-downs...as there will be a certain amount of erratic back-and-forth on the pier, I don't want to riddle it with tie-down holes, so I'm thinking I'll build the set leaving enough space between each pier board that I can access a series of tie-down strips that will mount underneath the pier. I'll use these strips for Nola and Jenny. There are running shots where I may use a rig similar to Mike's recent stopmoshorts Buster set-up, but for the most part, the pier tie-downs will get the most wear-n-tear. I originally thought if I made the Jenny puppet heavy enough, I wouldn't need tie-downs, but I realize now that they'll be necessary for her crawl...which means Ms. Greenteeth is about ready for a second test puppet, probably a latex skin using the mold, with slightly smaller hands and tie-downs in the wrists and feet....oh yeah....feet...was going to have her bottom half obscured by fabric and fishing nets and seaweed, didn't think I would need to actually give her a bottom half, since she's mostly going to be using her arms to drag herself, but now I'm all ready to sculpt her hips and legs and feet, which when placed together will look a bit like a fish tail for the underwater shots...will also let me put her in a semi-crouched pose for her big hisscream...

7 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Nice to hear about all the progress. I'm thinking for pier tie-downs you might be able to just run a screw up through a gap between boards... maybe no need for anything else. Would allow for a nice slidey-walk (or crawl) for Ms. G.

Ubatuber said...

Yeah, that makes sense...for some reason I was thinking they might slide around between the board cracks, but they'll be screwed in tight so that shouldn't be a problem...my brain still hasn't grasped the fullness of stop-motion, the amount of control and freedom I'll have to manipulate things between frames etc. I still find myself thinking in live-action mode like a 'normal' person :P, which definitely over-complicates things...

Darkstrider said...

Yeah, it definitely takes some time to adjust to "animator mode". It's quite a transition, and a big part of the reason most newbies have such a hard time in the beginning.... they haven't begun to think between the frames.

Hey.... how the heck did you do the rock throw thing? Looked great... very Starevitch!

Ubatuber said...

Thanks, haven't seen much Starevitch, theres a collection on my Netflix queue, but it has a 'very long wait'...already seen the vol.1 Quay Bros (excellent of course) and the first disc of the first seas. of robot chicken (we don't have cable)...

I think I started to reach that higher plane of existence that is 'animator mode' when I did Pandora, I was having stop-motion dreams the entire time, very very strange and surreal (moreso than usual anyway), similar in feeling to those "oh no I'm late for work" dreams, like everyone else was on a different clock than me, like I was moving at a different speed...can't explain it...

the rock toss...took the rock, superglued a long piece of wire to it, dangled it over the set with one hand and snapped the pic with the other...then photoshopped the wire out (it was only three frames, so much more bearable than the fish ;)...was going to repost the clip unphotoshopped for you but it looks like I just saved over the original photo files, makes it easier to import the pics into Vegas if they are all in digicam numbered order already...need to do a post about my Vegas techniques...in the future I'll be sure to copy the pics before I touch them up...maybe even post the clips before and after touch-up...

Darkstrider said...

Hmmm.... that sounds like the weird pixellated motion I'd sometimes experience after like an 18 hour videogame session and 15 minutes of sleep when I had to get up and go to work. I swear, my brain went into this stuttery motion, very much *frame by frame on a slow computer*. Partly sleep deprivation, but assisted by the long hours of gaming.

It's a really profound feeling when you experience time differently from other people.

Ale said...

(singing n' dancing puppet)
Tie me up, before you go-go
Don't leave me hanging on like a yo-yo.

:D

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»