6.28.2006

Bog Bodies: The Tollund Man


We all know about King Tut, and the Egyptian mummies....today I discovered the wonder of Bog Bodies, most notably that of the Tollund Man, found in a bog in Denmark in the '50s. It seems there is a strange conglomeration of peat moss acids, cold water, and sea salts which preserve bodies, tossed in thousands of years ago, mostly as sacrifices to the gods. I would like to visit one of these bogs, maybe picnic near it :) Reminds me of the Dead Marshes.
I love the look of this fella, sleeping peacefully. Check out the preservation of the hair and stubble on his chin. Amazing. It is theorized that he was strangled with the noose around his neck, not as a criminal, because of the way he is arranged, and the serene look of him, but as a worthy sacrifice to their god(s) which we know little about apparently. The website has a ton of information, everything from daily life to what his last meal was (oatmeal basically) to preservation of the body once removed from the bog (involving replacing the bog water in his cells with bee's wax).

Seems fitting in a strange way for my Jenny Greenteeth, bog witch.

7 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow, awesome! I got chills when that first showed up in my browser. It's creepy/fascinating at the same time. Reminds me of when I cleaned out the garage and found a mummified racoon under a stack of cedar shakes. It looked so cool I wanted to take a picture and post it on my blog, but I laid it next to the garage and the next day it was gone. Bummer. There were also a pair of geckos that apparently fell into the basement sink (big metal tub-style sink) and couldn't get out. They died curled against each other in everlasting togetherness.. it was kind of touching really, until I picked one up (stiff as a board, just mummified scaly skin and tiny little bones) and what looked like a very fine white powder started falling out. Closer inspection showed the 'powder' was actually alive... tiny little insects of some kind... yuck!

I'll also nevere forget seeing (somewhere... tv documentary maybe?) a picture of a bunch of dead wolves like that all piled in a pit. The heads and paws were almost normal looking (like this guy... since those parts are almost entirely bone) but the bodies were just leathery skin stretched over the skeleton. I'd love to finds that pic again. Probably somewhere on the internet... I believe it's a famous picture.

Ubatuber said...

Tried searching for the wolf pic, but with no luck :(

I'm not really a fan of mummification or taxidermy, but something about the natural preservation of these bog people, your racoon, etc. intrigues me.

And powdery white bugs, gross...not an insect fan....

mefull said...

interesting stuff, that first picture almost looks like a bronze. Then when you see the close up there is a little too much detail for a bronze and it's kind of creepy.

Fasinating how they were preserved. Yes I think you should have some bog people in your short. Even if they are just background props.

Ubatuber said...

The first time I saw the pic I thought he looked bronze too...

my first instinct was, YEAH, BOG bodies by her lair instead of bones, but then had second thoughts....I don't think she'd leave any 'meat' just laying around :)

mefull said...

Good point, Jenny may be skinny, but I bet she has quite an appetite. Bone are probably a better choice.

sven said...

This fella actually made an appearance in "Madness from the Sea"... I really must get around to duping copies so I can show y'all.

Does standing around talking about this picture make us all -- *ahem* -- Bog Brothers?

(forgive me, please)

Ubatuber said...

:D