8.25.2006

NOMA Series: Dorothea Tanning

The anniversary of Katrina is fast approaching, in a few days it'll be a year. I'm racked with the desire to somehow record the progress in the city 'so far', and set out today with my digital camera to get some pics. Before I knew it I was under the spell of City Park, about 10 minutes from my house, where all the best climbing oaks are. Lacking funds, and employees, the park is severely overgrown in spots, but even more beautiful.

In the heart of the park lies the New Orleans Museum of Art (NOMA), which is recently reopened and free for LA residents. How could I resist? Their big attractions right now are an Ansel Adams exhibit, and a huge collection of Katrina photographs by everyday folks. No photography allowed in the Katrina exhibit, so I don't have any images, but it was gut-wrenching. Floor-to-ceiling imagery.

Next I set out to find my favorite pieces, paintings which have inspired me for over a decade, and as I hunted them down one by one, I thought it might be cool to do a series of posts here, periodically highlighting a piece and its creator, as blog filler :) Two paintings in particular are very dear to me, two all-time favorites that have drawn my stare for many hours through many years. They've watched me grow. Here's one, my first in the NOMA series:

"Gaurdian Angels" by surrealist painter Dorothea Tanning, oil on canvas, 1946. I love this one, the palette, the lighting, the composition. The silhouetted legs of the dream angels, the beds trailing off into the distance, the sleeping child, there's something elegantly enticing yet frightening about it. Here's a detail...


Google her name to see more of Dorothea Tannings work...

2 comments:

Ale said...

Nice artwork Jeffrey!
Have you seen that documentary on Katrina which is supposed to be kinda controversial or something? (I only remember it was 4 hours long or divided in 4 parts...)?

Also....I just realized NOLA has something to do with katrina, but Google couldn't tell me what it is...sorry if I missed this info on the blogging

Ubatuber said...

NOLA is just an abreviation for the city, New Orleans LA...The doc you mention is called "When the Levees Broke" by Spike Lee and HBO...I didn't see the premier, but it is being rebroadcast on the anniversary (tues. night I think)...I've heard its pretty unbearable to watch...might record it and watch another time...