9.11.2006

"Widow" - Alchemy and the Book Prop

Between last night and this evening, I was able to rough up a full storyboard, research some symbols, and work on my little book prop.
You'll notice four trees sort of in the foreground of the set, each of these will have a symbol drawn on its trunk for Doc's little (mostly off-camera) ritual of resurrection...I was going to design my own symbols but a simple google search turned up something much cooler....I'm going to use four elemental alchemy symbols which have meaning to the story....here they are:

Top left: "silver" the moon & feminine traits, Top right: "tin" the breath of life

Bottom left: "magnesium" eternity, the infinite flame

Bottom right: "mercury" transcendence over death

I also got crackin' on the tiny tome, sort of combining suggestions from earlier and creating something that should work fine for me. First I sandwiched a piece of foil between two sheets of white tissue paper, using a glue stick...then I cut out pages and folded them all in half...the foil shows at the edges after I cut them but it gives the book an old-timey 'bible' feel, so it works...probably won't show up on camera anyway...

Then I bound the pages together with thin lines of superglue down the spine, stacking pages until I had a little pamphlet.....Cliffs Notes :) The pages hold their shape, and stay in place, so yay...

For the cover (not pictured, coming soon), I used 3 pieces of balsa, one for the spine and one for each cover....I ran a few strips of wire on the inside cover from one end to the other, crossing the spine, so that I can control the openness of the book, and also to prevent warping from the latex, which I've started to coat on the outside of the cover....it will look like sewn skin, no face like Evil Dead but close :) After I finish the cover, draw (some of) the inside pages, age them, and attach them together, I'm ready to film....shooting for Friday...

13 comments:

Darkstrider said...

It's all lookin' good! Hey, but be careful with that "It probably won't show up on camera" stuff.... the camera shows all! I'm always surprizes when I make something and then take a picture of it up close, I see things I didn't even know were there! Of course, lighting and camera angle can help hide things.

herself said...

That book looks awesome, Jeffery. You are rocking. Good luck with your shoot. Remember to eat every once and a while.

Ubatuber said...

Eat?! Me? Sooooooo not something you have to worry about Shells...did I not mention that before getting to work on the tiny tome I put a pot of beans on? I'm a multitasker......mmmmmmmm red beans n rice....cliche, I know :) but they were yummy........so so yummy....someday I'll cook dinner for you n hubby, and we will drink much hearty grog, and celebrate our achievements in stop-motion, and our spouses will bond and share stories about how looney we are...

herself said...

yay. k.

I was jes sitting at my desk and I had a hankerin' to enjoy me some Nola films. Go make some, I'll wait.

Nola Nola Nola Nola Nola Nola Nola Nola!

Ubatuber said...

:)

I know, I know....I'm excited about the StopMoShorts flic but I can't wait to get back to Nola...theres that little micro-series I had planned before the campfire 'test clip' spurred two short films :) I had dubbed it 'Nola's Bad Day', tiny little shorts of funny bad things happening to our favorite little puppet, almost looney tunes-style...I desperately want her followed by a little thundery rain cloud :) Its coming, I promise....Think late fall/early winter.....:( sorry, being realistic....I've already decided October is 'Monster Month', more on that later...

Darkstrider said...

How Halloween-y of you! Monster Month.... cool!

Ubatuber said...

Yep, I've realized, as much as I love monsters.....I HAVEN'T MADE ANY YET! I've been working with too many humans.....

sven said...

Monster Month? Oh, that's good! I want in...

And y'know, that's almost too good to keep to ourselves. That needs to be an SMA or SMS thing, too. I mean -- the more monsters, the better, right?

It's just a matter of figuring out the right platform to announce this from. I'll bet we could get Marc Spess in on it, too. Hmmm....

Ubatuber said...

You are in, my friend...Monster Month here we come....the more the scarier....we should definitely figure out a way to get other forum-folks involved....double 'hmmmm....'

Darkstrider said...

Yes, I've been thinking about rounding up folk for the next 'thon session. We ought to start a thread at SMA about it... lord knows that place needs a wake up call! We shoyld explain the idea behind the marathon (everyone trying to make daily progress from whatever point they're currently at... absolute beginning or post-production) and provide links to our blogs so people can see what we've been doing already.

It can be for whatever project someone is already working on, or if they don't have one, then monsters. Or should these be two different things?

I'm thinking anyone who doesn't have a blog to share their progress on can start their own thread at SMA and post there.

Darkstrider said...

I won't be able to do the monster thing this time around, but I also have been lamenting my non-monsterfied state thus far, and I want to move monsterward in the near future... possibly on my next project.

Ubatuber said...

I was thinking something at SMS would be cool, something smaller than the haiku, like a prop or puppet contest, or just a design-a-monster contest, deadline Halloween...best stop-mo friendly design wins...something......I'm sure I can come up with something to donate as a prize, some kind of monster package.....ooooh oooh, maybe a pair of StopMo Shorts? I'll even make 'em myself :) we sell iron-on letters where I work...just brainstorming here, lemme know what you think....as for the next marathon, the more the merrier, woohoo!!

Ubatuber said...

Y'know, StopMo shorts would make a great coveted Haiku prize each deadline...something for you SMS honchos to think about ;) I'd definitely be willing to make a donation of a few pairs of custom printed shorts....