9.06.2006

"Widow" - Creating Doc

Thank you Shelley for spurring me on with a dare in the wee hours last night, I said "Why not", slapped some clay on my faceless armature just before bed, and found my 'Doc', the male lead in my upcoming StopMoShorts entry. This evening was spent 'fleshing' out his face a bit more.

I had already used superglue and latex on part of the armature and I couldn't bake the face right on, so I made a mask, cooked it, stuck it back on, and filled out the back of the head with epoxy clay.

Added ears made from Das air-hardening clay, and superglue-&-Q-tipped his beard and mustache. I actually haven't decided what I want to do about the eyes...I thought it might be cool to go with glasses, and try to get a campfire-y kind of reflection in them, or I might just stick a little clay in the sockets and paint him some eyes...going to avoid any kind of moving eyeball, no beads or replacement parts...

Here's the happy couple now, Doc and Pepper...they really do make a nice couple :)

Next-- Props? No. Props? Yes. Many props, including a Photoshop'd wedding pic of these two in their younger days, and a miniature copy of the Necronomicon complete with pages of passages and diagrams...ugh....haven't exactly figured out the 'readable book' thing, I'm thinking pages made of either fabric laced with wire or wire mesh coated in latex...suggestions welcome ;) Thursday is a day off for me so look for much progress...

5 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow... a functional Necronomicon... that's a tough one. Actually I think I'd use regular paper. Most likely you only need a few turnable pages, right? The rest can be glued shut. If you use an over-the-shoulder shot while pages are being turned, the puppet's shoulder can hide part of the book... there could be a small wire clip or something to hold pages closed until turning time. Then the puppets hand is what moves it frame by frame, then when it lays flat on the other side, a little spot of tacky glue to hold it down? Prob'ly how I'd do it.

Doc is lookin' good! And welcome to the race!

Michael Granberry said...

I did a book prop awhile back that worked pretty well (actually, a newspaper, but you should be able to apply the same technique): get a cheap-as-hell tin baking sheet from your local 99-cent store, which you can easily cut into "pages" with tin snips. You can pre-print book pages onto paper, cloth, whatever (I used actual newspaper print for my prop)and rubber cement them onto the metal "pages" of your book. You might be able to paint on the tin directly but I think it might crack. The tin is strong enough to hold position but very easy to work with, and you can get some great, delicate page curling effects with a good pair of needle-nosed pliers.

Can't wait to see your finished short!

sven said...

How about tissue paper glued to heavy-duty tin foil? I seem to recall that that's what they did for Santa's list in "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

herself said...

The only prop I'm giving you, Jeff, is that you won the day! Great progress, your new puppet looks awesome.

Ubatuber said...

SVEN! That rocks, we have a winner! Great ideas, everybody, thanks!

And Shell, I don't know about that....Tarn is looking pretty spiffy...