9.09.2006

"Widow" - Doc Done

...ok maybe not completely done, I left off with the eyes, want to sleep on it and take a look in the morning, right now the eyes bug me a bit....other than that he is done....here's a step-by-step...
I started off with the sleeves, made two tubes, attached them up at the chest, then bunched them up and wrapped a thin piece of wire to hold them in place...then I added the torso piece, and a little collar...

"Where're mah daggum pants, ya rapscallion?"

I cinched the waist of the shirt with a piece of wire, and next came the pants, which I basically bunched up and trimmed in the rear to make fit...added a paintjob on the shirt, a little liquid latex and white paint, thinned out, in a couple of coats...then ribbon-suspenders and little moon-shaped belt buckle care of my wife's private bead stash :), superglued on...


I almost like him better without eyeballs, with just the suggestion of them...like I said, gonna sleep on it...tomorrow is hopefully a prop day, I plan to be filming by the end of the week, which'll give me roughly two and a half weeks to shoot and edit....I leave you with a shot of the lovebirds...


6 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow, that looks really good! Nice down and dirty dressup job. Only one thing kinda bugs me... I think if I were in your shoes I might try to cover up those ultra-skinny elbows... they kind of kill the illusion of life for me. The holocaust-victim arms and neck I can deal with, but somehow on the elbows it's too much (just IMHO of course). Maybe he could be wearing a long-sleeved undershirt... those sleeves could be bunched up too, but go farther down the forearms?

Ubatuber said...

Actually they bug me too, just forgot to mention it...I intended the sleeves to go mid-forearm, but with the way I ended up having to bunch up the sleeves, I wouldn't have been able to bend him freely at the elbows without the bunches unbunching and rebunching...gonna have to build them up with some latex tomorrow, if that doesn't work I'll try adding an undershirt, but it should be fine...

herself said...

Jeffery, your art school tutition was not wasted. That's a great puppet right there. I like it better without the eyes too. He looks more vacant that way, more stylized, if that's what you'd like.

Darkstrider said...

Yeppers.... I made Ahab and company with black voids for eyes to represent the fact thet they're doomed men.....

Ubatuber said...

And that's what I'm gonna go with I think....may have to give him a small set of lids in the holes on accounta their a bit large to remain empty....

Michael Granberry said...

Doc looks great without the eyes...plus it's one less thing to have to animate. :) I really dig the clothing technique, too. I have nightmares about making tiny clothing, but it's always one of the details that fascinates visitors to the studio the most!