10.17.2006

Monster Month - Faeries and Ritz

Here are a couple of bits from other projects that bob around in my brainpan like potatoes in a pumpkin stew...seemed appropriate to share now, in Monster Month, woo!! My stop-mo blog buddies have helped carry the monster torch with awesome sketches over at Darkmatters and the Scarlet Letters, and I feel like I should contribute more so here you go....

First up we've got The Vanity Faeries, c.2002....

They are amongst my most beloved creations, co-created by my wife and I, part of a series of children's books about a skewed world, very 'Through the Looking Glass'. In the tales, the path to the gateway to the world is lined by the Vanity Faeries. As you enter, their voices are soothing, their song is sweet, they hide their faces but you can see their reflections in a mirror at each faerie's side, and they are breath-taking. On the way out however, their song becomes vicious, their true faces, hideous, eye contact will turn you to jello. This is possibly the greatest writing challenge I have ever presented myself. Y'see, I want their song to be welcoming and warm on entry, but then malicious and evil on exit. Same words, sung the same way, with different meaning. I've tried to write it a few times over the last few years but I think it'll have to come after the story is done....which could be years unless I get the bug...As with all of my BS projects (Before Stopmo ;) I can completely see this reimagined in stop-motion glory.....

Next up is an unfinished animated storyboard for a funny gross little period zombie musical number, set to Puttin On the Ritz....

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep This is a test of the Photobucket Video System Beeeeeeeeeeeeeep

Here's a direct link in case the embedded player doesn't wanna.....

I like the idea of having vids that play right on the blog, so let me know how this one goes folks...Ive had trouble with Photobucket in the past....this project is also BS, imagined live-action (Johnny Depp?), but now completely and totally puppet friendly....makes perfect sense given the subject matter: Zombie Guy (think Baron Samedi meets Freddy Krueger) works up an army of rotten zombies then descends on a snooty little upper-class cobblestone marketplace and dismembers shoppers, attaching their limbs to his zombie army where needed, an arm here, a head there....putting on the ritz....puppets with removable limbs anyone? Far off, again unless I get the bug....

Enjoy!

4 comments:

herself said...

The embedded player didn't load the vid but the PB direct link worked fine. I like the clip as it is, with cut outs and sketches! Cute. As always.

And the Vanity Faeries! Woo hoo, you know I be loving them! That kind of allegorical metaphor symbolism is my favorite thing! And that one is really fresh and original/anicient all at the same time. Love it!

Darkstrider said...

Hey great animatic! You have a great sense for visual storytelling. And the embedded video didn't work for me either, but the link did.

sven said...

Oooh! Schnifty! Both snippets are quite alluring...

The Vanity Fairies bring up flavors of Kurosawa's "Dreams" for me. An odd and memorable film -- I recommend it, if you haven't seen it already.

The animatic... I've done similar animatics in the past, but've basically forgotten about the technique for a while... Expect me to be stealing from that bottle of inspiration juice sometime in the near future!

Ubatuber said...

I saw Dreams about a decade ago, I sorta liked it then, which means I'd probably love it now, given how my eye for great film has developed over the years :) There's an eerie snow witch isn't there? I actually should be getting Kurosawa's film noir, High and Low, from Netflix sometime next week.....
Animatics are awesome, fairly easy to do, lotsa cut-n-paste....I just reposted my Jenny one, from awhile ago, I don't think everyone's seen it...