10.04.2006

Monster Month - Sketches and Cletus the Applehead, Day 3


I'm lovin the way the bottom is shrinking up and leaving the teeth protruding....looks like a Cletus, a yokel....think I'll make him a scarecrow when he's all dried up :)




I call this one "Ghost of a Mayfly"...sometimes I crack myself up...there's something inherently hysterical to me about the eternally trapped spirit of a creature with a one-day life span :) bet you didn't know that Mayflies have tiny nipples and bellybuttons, did you? Did you?!? Yeah, me either.....


Tentacled Eye Guy - ahhh, tentacles....always goes back to Cthulhu....Designing a Lovecraft creature is something that I feel like I'm working towards in my artistic journey, something that I'm not quite ready for....when it happens I want it to be spectacular...


The Flying Uvula...another one that cracks me up.....I imagine someone's uvula (y'know, that hangy thing in the back of our throat?) getting tired of just hanging around, decides to break free, taking most of the mouth and some of the esophagus with it....I mean, come on....I couldn't think of a worse place to be than stuck at the back of someone's throat..........ok...yeah, I can....

Now this guy.....this guy I think is going places....started out as a tree monster, still kind of is, though he needs a body but I'm sure one will turn up :) I did this right after watching Lucky McKee's "The Woods", which just came out on DVD, a good flic but not as great as the directors first film "May", which I recommend to everyone....the story of a socially awkward (this is being polite, mind you) young woman who's only real relationship is with her doll.....the final few frames of the film are Svankmajery, not stop-mo but anyone with a love for puppets would appreciate it...put it on your Halloween Horror list....go ahead, I'll wait here....

EDIT: Awhile ago we were watching 'Eat Drink Man Woman' (excellent) and at one point a soup is served in a hollowed out pumpkin....my wife has been waiting for October to roll around so that I could try one out....gonna make something tomorrow for dinner, I usually cook on my day off....found this great site for you foodies out there like me :) http://www.mom-mom.com/pumpkin_soup_recipes.htm

1 comment:

Darkstrider said...

The head's lookin' really gnarly! It'll be interesting to see how it comes out.

Heh... I love the idea of insect ghosts! Imagine how many billions of them there'd be! They'd have to be packed solid, in fact layered thickly onto/into each other.