10.06.2006

My Katrina Experience - Ballad of the Iceboxes

I said in my last Katrina post that I was going to let my experiences leak out, and I'm having sort of a downer of a day so I thought it might be time to dive in again. Today I discuss the Refrigerator epidemic. With parts of the city in ruins, trees and powerlines down in even the best looking spots of the surrounding neighborhoods, there was no electricity. We were allowed to return home in mid-September. Our neighborhood got power back in October. As folks flooded back home, as the waters receded and streets were cleared of debris, there was this small issue of perishable food items, which sat in uncooled refirgerators in every home for weeks or months in the summer heat of New Orleans. Not pretty. We were instructed by radio not to put fridges by the curb with food in them, most didn't oblige but we did. The first thing we did when we got home was wheel the fridge to the back sliding glass door (miraculously still intact) and open her up.
I emptied the contents, milk, meats, moldy unrecognizables, into black trash bags. Then the radio says, "Oh yeah, we don't know when trash pick-up will begin, so don't put the food by the curb because there are packs of abandonned wild dogs tearing into piles of rotten food across the city. Just bury the bags in your yard." OK, not an easy task, but there are now two 30 gallon black trash bags full of Katrina Fridge Trash buried under our vegetable garden in the yard. Most folks just wrapped their iceboxes in duct tape with everything inside and stood them by the curb. They were like Stonehengian monuments across the city, lining every neighborhood block. Only added to that stench that I can still pick up on when near Lakeview or the Ninth Ward or Chalmette, not to mention the pests, roaches, fruit flies, nowadays rats...

We still had the top of our wedding cake in the freezer. Now its buried in the yard.

4 comments:

herself said...

Sorry you're bumped out today, maybe cause it's hurricane season and the fear's cycling 'round. In any case, cheer up I heard on the radio that there are no big storms coming this year?

Fridges. Yuck! what a horrid mess. It's stunning how fast things go from wealth to 3rd world around the globe.

Are you and the Mrs. planning to get outta Dodge or stay in your home land do you think?

Darkstrider said...

Man, that's some powerful stuff.

Ubatuber said...

We still want to move, mostly for me to find film work, though we aren't in as much of a hurry as we were even just a couple of months ago...I'd feel more comfortable if I were moving into a job, rather than roughing it in a new city hoping for the best, y'know? so I'm beginning to work on a sort of portfolio package, like Sven's "Coraline or Bust" hand-out, to send to as many places as I can think of, production companies like Sam Raimi's Ghost House Pictures, even Weta in New Zealand...I'm going to sign up for a trial period on IMDB Pro, which has addresses etc...probably have them ready for mailing in Nov/Dec...
Yes, storm season is nearly over, a couple more weeks, and it doesn't look like we'll have any trouble...only one storm made it into the Gulf this year so we had a bit of a break, and we needed it....

herself said...

Ubatuber in NZ? A perfect fit! Go for it!