11.17.2006

Foam Test #1......Success!!

Mmmmmm.....concrete sandwich with latex spread.....my favorite bedtime snack........


The day was beautiful, perfect for foamy tests.....after a prolonged battle with wasps, I finally got everything set up and started mixing at about 9pm....and now.........I've got a somewhat-seamed, fully cast, foam latex Tree Monster puppet!!!!!....far from a perfect casting, there are small air bubbles in the surface, but I'm fairly certain they will be nigh-invisible after the paintjob.....I'm very very excited :D Can't wait to get home from work tomorrow evening and continue seaming, can't wait to paint, can't wait to animate, can't wait to post more......til tomorrow, when I can be more in depth, here are a few pics.....

WOO-HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the pic above you can see the effect of the mold wall, which created a very thin membrane around the puppet, making for very easy seaming.....more coming soon :)

7 comments:

Ubatuber said...

Wow, I'm thinking now about all of the other bits I need to do, everything sort of hinged on the foam tests, and I expected utter failure :) Now I can get to work on the set, and I've got a ton of tiny men to make :D

Darkstrider said...

Whoah! I didn't know it was that small! I thought it was about twice that size until I saw the pics with your hands for reference. Those fodder-dudes are gonna have to be TINY!

Are you planning to try to cabo-patch those holes you mentioned?

Ubatuber said...

No, I think I'm just going to try to mask the holes with the paintjob, there aren't too too many....

And yes, the tiny men will indeed be tiny men :) 2-3" tall....tree guy's about 7"

Ale said...

Lookin' great UBa! Can't wait to see how you feel animating it!

Congrats!

herself said...

Jeffery, this is FANTASTIC!! I expected total botch too (sorry) not because you aren't capable but because these things are complex and require a knack from experience--or so I thought! Way to go, Man.

So now here you are able to make foax latex pupps! woo hoo! That opens up a universe, don't it.

Thanks for pointing out the mold wall effect, I would have missed it and I can see the value now. I look forward to more about how it was made.

I'm also looking forward to the seaming, the painting, the animating too. How cool is this?!

sven said...

My head.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
My jaw.

Congrats!!

Darkstrider said...

Great work Jeffrey!

Yeah, there's been so much talk on the message board about the difficulties associated with foam casting, but it's not as hard as they make it sound. Especially after you've watched Kathi's DVD and studied Nick's tutorials.

In fact, I suspect my foam latex attempt would have been completely successful if I hadn't tinted the foam intrinsically. I thought it would help to have the foam itself already close to the paint coilor, so tears or scratches wouldn't show through white. But apparently adding the tinting agent can off-balance the chemical reactions.