11.15.2006

Tree Mold, completed

After resculpting bits of the beast, I rolled out a few pieces of water clay, about 1/4" thick, and laid them onto the mold around the sculpt....then I trimmed the edge of this new clay bed around the sculpt, creating a trench about 1/4" wide....I also trimmed around the mold's keys...the rest of the clay will stay in the mold while the second half sets, ultimately creating open empty space for the foam latex overflow as I squish the two halves together in casting....I sprayed the whole thing down with Clearcoat, rubbed vaseline on any exposed ultracal, and repeated the drizzle-burlap-superlayer process...once the new half set, about two hours later, I pressed a sculpting tool into one of the squishy clay sides, digging out enough water clay to pry open the mold....Woody's 'root system' made it difficult to separate the halves, and the sculpt did not survive the mold-making process, but they usually don't.....the dark green you see in the pic is the floral tape I wrapped the armature with, to keep it clean during sculpting....next, I carefully peeled out as much of the dead sculpt as I could, and then even more carefully went at it with my sculpting tools, digging tiny shreds of clay out of the barky texturing....using a soft brush and a little alcohol, I washed away the residual clay....I noticed pretty quickly that the second half, covering the back of the sculpt, has several air bubbles, a few right on the surface of the sculpt...I may try to fill them or I may just let him have a few worts or I may do surgery after casting, not sure yet....you can see a couple of the bubbles clearly by the 'Hellboy' swirly on the elbow in the pic below, and you can see what I had to deal with as far as clay-cleanup....

I did a little armature surgery, trimming the nubs that remained from the two limbs I decided to sever early in the sculpting process, and also adding a tie-down rectally....I just blobbed on a bit more epoxy clay, I had plenty of extra space in the root area....tomorrow I clean up and set up for Foamy Thursday....

...and I'm realizing that.....I am a control freak...........yes, its true.....I never would have guessed......I'm not concerned with seaming, or painting the puppet, or animating it....but I'm fairly stressed about the casting, the mixing of the foamy batter which can be so easily influenced by weather/humidity.....things I have no control over.....I think this might be another little side effect of the storm, a little personality shift towards obsessive-compulsiveness?

5 comments:

sven said...

When you roll out a layer of clay, put it on top, then trim it so there's a channel all around the sculpt... I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how this bit functions.

Would you be sure to take a shot of the flashing after you do a casting -- so I can get a better sense of how the material flowed with the channel in place?

Ubatuber said...

After making the second half, the channel is actually a wall of solid ultracal (I'm sure you know this already, just clarifying)....I think its not so much that there will be flow through the channel, more like, when you press the two halves together, which will each be filled with foam batter, the excess has somewhere to go instead of oozing out the sides and being flattened out inside the mold (which I imagine could keep the halves apart a bit, and make it more difficult to strap them together)....I still expect oozing, but we'll see.....its supposed to make seaming easier....I'll absolutely be sure to post pics when the time comes :)

Darkstrider said...

Great tree mold! Hey, I saw some really horrific tree mold the other day, on the side of this old larch... it was all moldy and soft and squishy..... horrifc I tell ya, truly horrific!

Darkstrider said...

The air bubbles can be fixed with epoxy putty and given a matching texture if you want. You could maybe mix up a micro-batch of ultracal and do it with that, but I'm not sure how well that would work. I've heard epoxy putty is pretty good for that.

herself said...

Right on schedule, Jeffery, Well done.

OCD? I say it's only a problem if it interfers with a good, functional life. I suspect everyone has a bit of that in certain areas, depending on personal traumas, etc. It could be parts of us trying to gain a sense of safety in a chaotic world, as you suggested. I let mine lay (lie?) as I'm ok with the effects and feel like I'm managing in a way I like anyway.

Have fun MEASURING tomorrow, heh!