11.10.2006

Tree Monster Molded!! (the short version)

I call this the short version 'cause I've got to get to bed soon, I've been working on the monster all day and had to post something...but watch for a longer more detailed post in a few days...In short it went well, this is my first time using Ultracal which was nice to work with, also my first keyed and registered mold, mostly professional, following techniques used by Kathi in that great dvd I mentioned a month or so ago...I 've got a lot of cleaning to do with the mold, ole Woody came out in shreds when the mold came apart and there's tiny bits of clay in all those lovely barky textured crevices....gonna clean 'er up and post again soon, a full report, complete with mold size-issues and bubbles....but for now.........


...there's only about a half inch of Ultracal from the end of the longest root to the edge of the mold, which makes me nervous, but I had to restrict the size due to the dimensions of my toaster oven...hopefully, with the foam-overflow areas in the mold to release some pressure, there won't be a problem.....


....notice the yellow clay remnants of the Tree Monster strewn about the tabletop....ugh.....Jenny 2's mold-removal mini-death is gonna be painful when the time comes...

8 comments:

herself said...

Good work, Jeffery. This is a big deal, making this alone for the first time. Well done! Fun isn't it!?! I love making molds and casting in them.

sven said...

Congratulations! Oh, I'm very excited for you... Can't wait til the Ubameister is a bonafide foamer!

...

Ooh, youch. That clay really turned to shreds... What kind of clay did you use for the sculpt?

herself said...

I'm sure Kathi mentions it, but have you tried cleaning the clay residue out with a softish scrub brush with rubbing alcohol? I recall that working. Also, I'm sure you did this too but just to make certain, did you give a heathly coating of Vasoline to each half of your sculpt before pouring on the Ultracal as a mold release? You'd still get soft clay in the creases but they'd slide out easier.

Darkstrider said...

For future refrence, a couple coats of clear gloss or matte spray should help form a barrier so the ultracal doesn't grab onto the clay too much. Also, not sure, but I seem to remember maybe making sure it's comletely cool or even refrigerating before demolding, so the clay isn't soft and warm?

I'm sure all that nice texture was a big contributing factor. Alcohol should help clean it out, or acetone if that doesn't do the trick.

Ubatuber said...

Shelley--I've made molds before, but never with an armature registered for inclusion in the casting, and I've never really tried to be 'pro' with it, just kind of slobbered plaster around and relied on the irregular surface to key the mold instead of making smooth halves....yes, it is fun....yummy messy fun :) I did use Vaseline but not on the sculpt, only where Ultracal touched Ultracal when plopping on the second half of the mold....thanks for the tip...

Sven, I used Van Aken clay, I usually use a denser Roma Plasticine but bought this stuff to try when I started working on Jenny 2.....who is also made of the same clay....I think cooling the mold in the fridge first, as Mike suggested, will help next time, I didn't do that this time and the clay was extra mushy from the heat of the setting mold...

Mike, I used Clearcoat and it helped get out the clay bits in cleanup, definitely.....I think it was totally the texture and the warm clay that made things so...uncooperative....

Hopefully the foamy tests will start this week :) I'm nervous....

Darkstrider said...

The sculpt must DIE, so the puppet can LIVE!!!!!!!!!

herself said...

Don't be nervous, just do it, or do it with being nervous. You can do this! I'll be right here to laugh if it goes wonky like the true blue peanut I are.

mefull said...

You probably already know this, but you can add burlap or other course mesh fabric to the UltraCal to help give it strength. I think you will be ok if you are careful with the thin bits.