11.28.2006

Tree Monster Tree Props

I haven't gotten too much done in the last week, with Thanksgiving and then a weekend stomach virus for my wife, ugh.....but I have done a little :)

I've been branch hunting, these in the pic came from my mother-in-laws yard on Thanksgiving day....my favorite is the small one in the middle, its hole looks so much like Woody's....I want Woody to look natural to his environment so here's my plan for the other trees on set....I've made a few liquid rubber latex skins using the tree monster mold, made copies of the root system from the sculpt to paste onto real branches that I pick up in the yard....with a little clay for spackle and a new paintjob, they should work out nicely.....
I'm also starting to think about magnets for my tiny lumberjacks, so that I don't have to work a tie-down into their teensy feet.....I think it might just work with such small puppets.....not that I've started making them yet :)

8 comments:

herself said...

Really brilliant, Jeffery, the matching root systems, killer good idea. Magnets for victims seems good too. Like metal painted forest floor? Hmm.

That branch with matching maw you found is perfect!

sven said...

I'm dubious about magnets, but prove me wrong. :-)

I tried working with magnet eyes a little, and discovered that the polarity of the magnet makes things want to shift to their north-south orientation. (Um, if you see what I'm saying...)

I know Aardman uses magnets a fair deal... But I keep imagining that walk sequences will turn into shuffles, with the feet being pulled back down onto the set floor.

Like I said, prove me wrong -- I'd love to learn a new trick. :-)

Ubatuber said...

Thanks guys!!.....I was actually thinking of using two magnets instead of a magnetic floor....basically functioning the same way a tie down would, but instead of screw-to-nut it'd be magnet-to-magnet with a very thin but sturdy set floor in between....not sure what yet, depends on the strength of the magnets I get....

herself said...

oh. That's sounds more coolish. Safety Patrol sayz: careful over the really powerful rare earth ones. Cuz u may want 2 have kidz 1 day and they do weird shitiztle to ur gonatty regionals?

Sounds as though your ubajacks may be made light and therefore won't require the big mambooz.

Ubatuber said...

Thanks for the tip Shell.....I'll avoid the bigguns cause, actually, we're going to start trying for a baby again this year, probably around springtime (we need some time to quit smoking and start exercising--New Years Resolution!)....its been a couple of years since we last tried, we had a miscarriage a couple months before the storm....with all the storm chaos, we didn't really have a lot of time to deal with the loss, so its taken awhile to get back on the horse, but we're ready....I haven't really mentioned this before but there is a lot of angst over the miscarriage at work in the Jenny short, its not just a storm metaphor....

mefull said...

For a moment I thought your prop trees had grass hula skirts on them, but no that would be a different blog from another planet.

Tree monster is kicking butt, I finally had a chance to watch the video below- great stuff and as usual perfect choice of music.

grant said...

Love the ongoing progress of Woody. I haven't used magnets before so if you use them it will be interesting to see what you think about them. Sven's thoughts about polarity hadn't occurred to me.

Sarthak said...

Was in the same situation as mefull!! Music is damn sexxxy...keep it up. Filmmaking rocks...