12.29.2006

Jenny Greenteeth, Where Are You?


The year winds to a close, and my mind drifts again and again to the Jenny film. I've spent the last year learning the basics of stop-motion, or some of them anyway :) enough that I am confident now to begin my film.....really begin.....like, filming by the end of 2007....let's recap a little before talking plans.
The Jenny Greenteeth film grew out of my angst over Hurricane Katrina, which struck August 28 2005....in the film, a little girl named Nola, wandering in the woods, stumbles upon a black lake and pier, a broken down fishing community of sorts....she accidentally awakens a witch deep in an underwater cave, and is dragged down to the murky depths for dinner....the film is packed with Katrina metaphor, from Jenny's design and spinning eye to the rotting architecture of the sets.
I am 75% finished my sculpt of Jenny, and have about two months of shelf-life left on my foam latex supply, so hopefully there will be a workable Jenny puppet in the near future....but right now my goal is storyboarding....I have dozens of scenes, sketches, images, ideas, but have yet to really stitch them together into a solid story...I have not completely planned out the action on the pier, for example, and that has to be done soon, before I can even begin to design the pier, much less build it...basically I have the beats, I just need to fill in the inbetweens....

Some new bits.....the area where the pier meets land will be black, a radiating patch of dead grass and earth, an image from Lovecraft....storm clouds will gather slowly as the action unfolds, probably a series of painted backdrops, translucent and backlit, glowy.....there will be scattered rocks and piles of rounded stones, and as Nola reaches for one to skip across the lake, we see that it is actually a skull....

Look forward to more regular blogging, cause things are about to heat up...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Everyone,

VibeBot.com has a great free blog hosting program.
Check it out: http://vibebot.com/blogs/info.html

Thanks,

herself said...

Jeffery, This sounds so great. And I love the way you are approaching it, clear and determined.

GO GO GO!

Darkstrider said...

Heh heh... Jeffrey's trying to become "more regular"....

herself said...

Jeffery, Do you know of the art of Sulamith Wolfing? One of my --all-- time favs. Her somber delicate beauty always gets me. The Jenny sketch you posted here reminds me of that feel. Then I cross it with the taut rapier wit of Nola and I marvel at how you're going to combine those two sensibilities. It's a little like Homer Simpson showing up in Sunday in the Park with George with a hot dog! Can't wait to see how you'll pull it together!