12.10.2006

An Update.....

I apologize for the lack of posts/updates/progress, but holiday madness is upon me :) I don't know how I thought I would have time to create and animate the Tree Beast sequence this month, December is always busy for me creatively as I make most of my gifts...this year I'm doing watercolor portraits for the family....two down, six to go....then I've got to edit together the family footage for the year, I am the resident cameraman, and so have video every year of the birthdays, barbeques, etc, which I edit together for Christmas viewing....I usually edit as I go throughout the year, but with stop-mo taking up my life for the last year, now I'm swamped.....so its safe to say there won't be too much going on here until after Christmas....but here are some random thoughts, some things on my mind, and some things....that have not yet come to pass :)

*I originally intended to hustle and complete the entire Tree Beast sequence for the Dec 30 StopMoShorts competition, but I've got a lot of kinks to work out (set floor material, puny man rigs, and puny men) so unfortunately, its not gonna happen....even more unfortunately, I'm all hyped to go Jenny crazy for 2007, so I can't say when we'll be seeing more of the Beast....I give you my word that the 'lumberjack' film will be made....

*I've been reading Camille Paglia's "Sexual Personae: Art and Decadence from Nefertiti to Emily Dickinson"....Darkstrider sent it to me a month or so ago, after an email conversation about decadent art, nature, and the female presence in my work.....he thought I'd enjoy it.......he was right.....Its taking me awhile to get through because I keep returning to and rereading and absorbing chapter 1......here's some of my favorite bits, you'll understand why:

"Walking in nature, we see, identify, name, recognize. We say that nature is beautiful. But what is pretty in nature is confined to the thin skin of the globe upon which we huddle. Scratch that skin and nature's daemonic ugliness will erupt...Civilized man conceals from himself the extent of his subordination to nature. But let nature shrug, and all is in ruin."

Reading her views have helped me to understand my life right now, and more importantly, my work...for the first time in my life I feel like I could sit down and write an Artist's Statement, which is something that has been mildly weighing on me since way back in my college days....in fact, I hope to post it after I finish the book...thanks for that Mike :)

*I've been rethinking some of the Jenny film, processing new information...well, tweaking actually....for instance, instead of having Jenny simply chase Nola down the pier, she's actually going to destroy the pier in her fury and hunger, basically ripping it apart as she goes, knocking out support beams, trapping Nola at the end of the pier, away from land, stranded in the black ether on a bit of pier-raft :)
I've also decided....no robot.....remember this conversation? Jenny=Katrina....every aspect of the film should be meaningful.....more coming very soon....

*The year in review.....I've got a lot to say here, a post that'll probably come at the end of the year, but in short.....2006 has been, creatively, one of the richest and most productive years of my life.....

5 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Awesome!

I'm glad you dig Paglia. I've shared her with a few other people, but I don't think anybody else really responded to it as strongly as me until now. So cool that we can share that.... we've got a lot of conversatin' to do (and many years to do it in).

In a way I feel bad... sending out such a massive tome to take up so much of your valuable time, but I know it's worthwhile.

And I love the new idea for Jenny rippin up the pier! Sweet!!!

gl. said...

"instead of having Jenny simply chase Nola down the pier, she's actually going to destroy the pier in her fury and hunger, basically ripping it apart as she goes..."

ooo, yes! this is much more dramatic, and leaves nola in a much more precarious situation.

sven said...

Good to hear from you, even without photojournalized stopmo progress.

I hear ya, re the December Madness. We're making very little homemade this year, and it's still been a frenzy. I don't think there'd be a chance of me getting my StopMoShorts submission done in time had I not begun work back in October.

Don't feel bad though; you've already done two submissions-- give the rest of us a chance to catch up!

herself said...

I too hear you on December madnesses (Note to Self: don't try to do anything other than Christmas in November/December.) I'm just guessing but I have a feeling your family home vids are a riot!

I'm glad for everything you wrote today, the pier destruction because it feels more like the horrific ravages of the storm. That you feel this year to be your most fulfilling so far is fantastic. That you are feeling a greater cohesion of your artistic purposes is thrilling. And that you and Mike can type yourselves into a natural froth over Paglia's gender musings. It's utterly lost on me, but I'm glad you guys are finding great value in it together.

Ubatuber said...

Mike, thanks again...I'm looking forward to our many years of frothing...she is definitely an extremist, Shelley, I don't agree with all of her ideas of course (I've even laughed out loud a couple of times) but her thoughts on art and nature are captivating...

Thanks gl. n Sven....I'm looking forward to your SMS submission!