1.11.2007

Water Test - Vaseline



Water Test - Vaseline - QT version on Vimeo

For this water test I painted a piece of foamcore black, and spread vaseline over it, which I pushed towards 'shore' each frame with a piece of cardboard, trying to maintain the shape of waves. The result is definitely promising, though way too choppy here, like stormy seas. I want the lake's surface to be a bit smoother, but that can be worked on, maybe by sculpting tiny wave shapes that can be pushed through the vaseline, so there's more control. I can also see this done on glass with a light underneath, I should be able to cut a piece at work that has 'trap doors' so Jenny can rise up :)

I cut this with my earlier 'reflective-light' test, just to jazz it up a bit.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not working for me (Darksies again)

Ubatuber said...

OK, switched to QT, seems to be working now?

Ale said...

Works fine now!
I really liked the effect!
You need to work out the timing and maybe fewer 'waves' to keep the water from being too wild, but it looks neat

jriggity said...

Super awesome effect man! I am definately putting that one in my memory banks!

jriggity

Anonymous said...

Yeah! Lookin' good!

You could try laying plastic wrap overtop of the vaseline if you want smoother waves (but that would make it diffuclt for Jenny to rise up... then again, it won't exactly be easy without plastic wrap on top!)

Darkstrider

mefull said...

I think that looks amazing for stop mo water. With a couple more tests you are going to have a kick ass water technique.

I am not completly clear how you did this. Is the foam core stationary and you are moving the vasaline with a cardboard scraper?

Ubatuber said...

Thanks guys....I hadn't considered laying plastic wrap on top, that would make it easier to control but at the same time, I like the little wispy peaks that form on the vaseline when its pulled around...I'll have to try it out though....I was going to use pastic wrap for the 'trap door', a couple of pieces, stretched taught over a hole in the glass, with a slit cut in the wrap so the lake can birth Jenny....appropriate analogy, as that is exactly how I see it....I think I can actually make splashes with the vaseline too, I thought maybe I would have to digitize them (lots of things break the waters surface, Jenny coming out, Nola going in, Nola tossing stones in, etc.) but I think a combo of plastic wrap and vaseline will be nice...
Mark, yes, thats exactly how I did it....I'll post a pic, Juli took some while I was working...