2.14.2007

Tornados

Night before last, at around 3:15 am, I was woken by an unusual and frightening sound. It lasted only long enough to jolt me awake, like a long rolling thunder. I knew we were in for some bad weather, but when I heard the ruckus, I decided to get up and unplug the computer, etc., before heading back to sleep. As I fumbled around in the dark, I waited for that sound again, which at the time I thought had sounded like someone loudly and clumsily moving furniture around on a wooden floor. Turns out thats a fairly accurate description of what was happening....
When I woke the next morning, yesterday, I found that a few areas of the city had been hit by tornados....one touched down minutes from our house, then headed east, away from us. It cut a swath miles long, turned into a water spout as it crossed the Mississippi River, then continued destroying homes on the other side. Many of these people are still heavily into repairs on their Katrina-damaged homes, and now have to start over again. Personally I don't think I would have the strength to persevere. My heart goes out to everyone in the affected neighborhoods.

CNN.com

4 comments:

Darkstrider said...

I saw that on the news last night! Glad to hear you're ok. Man, the weather is really going crazy!

herself said...

Geez! Whew!

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Holy damn! Glad you're safe! Oh, but those poor other neighborhoods...

gl. said...

geez, jeffrey! when will nola get a break?