3.09.2007

Pier Beginnings


Yesterday I started building the pier, or a two foot section of it anyway (there will be one other 2 footer, and a triangular section between them to create an angle, a corner).....and, ok , its just the top part of that 2ft section.....no posts or supports yet.....each plank is 1' x 1.5" x .25"...

After the nailing, I went at one of the boards with my woodcarving tools to weather it.....theyre old tools and at first I thought I should wait to get new, sharp ones.....


....but then I saw the nice little splinters that sprouted up when I gouged at the wood with the old dull blade, and decided to keep going....


...one board took about an hour to carve and about 3 minutes to paint....I used a light acrylic wash of brown, painted on thick over small areas and then wiped away with a towel, so it stained the recesses more......afterwards I went back with a darker brown to accentuate some of those recesses.....it still needs something, but I suspect I'll figure out what once the rest of it is textured and painted.....I'm thinking less texture around the middle of the boards, where the foot traffic has buffed them a bit.....

7 comments:

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Sweet! That's one deliciously gnarly plank, yo. :-)

Inspiring, too. Set fab is still one of my weakest areas.

Darkstrider said...

Yeah buddy! Awesome! Maybe not just less worn toward the center, but actually worn down.... maybe done with a belt sander? Might also want to take the boards apart so every surface gets equal weathering, then put it back together. And be sure to take a few wedges out of the ends of some boards.... maybe split one or two and remove a section.

One thing I've found about painting, that applies as well to weathering/staining or what-have-you, is to dirty up your colors a little. Too much warm or too much cool unadulterated looks fake and bad. I'd add a little blue to your stain, or add a thin wash of it, and maybe spatter some white across everything too (hey, lots of sea birds around there, right?)

herself said...

Oooo baby! That's one fine pier you got going there, J! Great to see you fabbing! I know you'll figure out how to make the set exactly as you'll want it. Go Boy!

Ubatuber said...

Cool, thanks for the tip Mike...blue wash will be tried.....bird droppings, i dont know.....i think maybe Jennys eaten most of the crunchable birdses, at least enough to where they know to stay away....I do plan on coating some of it with a knubby film of green algae.....primordial ooze :)

Thanks Sven n Shell...

Darkstrider said...

Another thought.... might want to go a little more greyish. It seems age bleeds the colors out of things. Try looking at it in PS and turn down saturation.

jriggity said...

cool beanages dood!!!

set making progress.....very exciting to watch!

jriggity

Mark F said...

Wow been a while since I checked in. The one plank looks great. You might try a wire wheel on the end of a drill to speed up the process if the wood is soft enough should be pretty fast.

Looking good