3.27.2007

Puppet Pantheon

So yesterday was my day off from the evil bill-paying job, the first day off in a few weeks that I've had completely to myself, no errands, no chores. April 1 (Aprolympics!) begins my next big push on Jenny production (goals: finish the Jenny sculpt and a section of the pier), so I didnt want to work on anything Jenny. Need a breather :) I've had some thoughts lately on a live-action/stop-motion short, using a puppet idea I've had for months and months, a wood-carved and -burned tribal hunter. I want him to start off as a marionette, so I dug up a toot, hacked a couple of pieces of wood, and decided this guy was going to take me entirely too long. I want to finish a puppet before Jenny Aprolympics....
So I picked up my copy of Edith Hamilton's Mythology, and got to work on a member of the Greek Pantheon.

Guess who :).....

He's a 12-incher! Wire armature, upholstry foam buildup, wrapped in stretchy athletic tape (nice!)...while wrapping the tape, if an area got flattened or needed more buildup, I'd just stick more foam in as I wrapped.....great for musculature....I'm not completely happy with the form here, particularly the upper legs and arms, but I'm going quick and dirty, and he won't be opening his cloak much anyway......more soon....

6 comments:

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Very cool! The new armature over at my site's serving a similar purpose: a breather before diving into the big project, Let Sleeping Gods Lie.

Looking forward to seeing how the athletic tape works for you. (It's sticky on one side, yes? Underwrap -- FYI -- can serve a similar function, and isn't sticky.)

Ubatuber said...

"We aint goin no further, til we've had a breather!" (uruk-hai)

:)

The underwrap is actually what I went to the store for (what youve been using, yes?) but I got a few things to try out, like pantyhose and gauze wrap....liked the athletic tape best....'tender tape'....it sticks but only to itself, doesnt have any kind of adhesive on it, nothing messy, so it can be peeled back and reapplied.....

jriggity said...

hey man!

this is exciting!!....new puppet in the works.

and new month of creative madness in clear sight.

jriggity

Sven Bonnichsen said...

"Tender tape?" Interesting! What brand? And what kind of shop did you find it in?

herself said...

PLEASE both of you Sven and Jeffery name names ofthese tapes that you are finding. I went yesterday especially to buy soem and the sports place I went that has EVERYTHING had nothing like any of it at all.

Hate that.

Please name brands, please!

thank you.

Ubatuber said...

Oh no! Sorry Shelley :(
The stuff I got is no-name brand, but it says on it "compare to johnson and johnson brand 'hurt free tape'"...got it at Kmart by the gauze...has a picture of a wrapped knee on it...