3.03.2007

She Brings the Tide...

I've been struggling with storyboards for 'Jenny' over the last couple of months, trying to get it all down sequentially but always ending up frustrated....I found it unusually difficult to translate my brain-images into physical sketches, even rough ones...I'd end up trying to cram too much info into one thumbnail....I started thinking, this has to be easier when you're working from someone else's direction, ie storyboarding someone else's vision.....and I realized, since this is my vision, what do I really need storyboards for?
So I picked up a pen and one of my notebooks and started writing, and its flowing like it never has before (lets hope I dont jinx it :) When I'm done writing out the story, I'm thinking of setting up a separate page and posting the tale with pics, etc, like a storybook....
It feels good to finally know how events transpire in the story......I can start building the pier, I know what props I need (rusty anchor, anyone?), etc....I've added a few major sequences that will require an extra few months of fabrication, including the interior of the bait shop and a sunken gazebo.....once everythings fabricated I'll start setting up shots using the puppets, trying out different ways of lighting etc, taking stills with my digicam to do storyboards......my plan is to set up a scene, get the right camera angle, arrange the lights in different ways, then take a snapshot of the set-up to pin up next to the storyboard, so when I go to film I know how to place everything.....I may start doing this and find its too time-consuming, but we'll see....

6 comments:

Darkstrider said...

I love writing about my ideas. The very act of writing things out forces you to think them through more carefully, if for no other reason than the fact that sentences need to have a certain rhythm, and in order to finish one you often need to add a few more syllables etc. Not sure if that's how it is for other people, but it is for me.

Sounds like you're at an exciting part of pre-production! This is gonna be good!

herself said...

I love the approach here, Jeffery. Storyboarding via on set shots for lighting and angles. Like Mike said, writing out the story helps to think it through and I think also storyboarding will as well, even if it's just for ourselves. But nothing says, that stage can't be done after the sets are built. I'm with you!

jriggity said...

cool....

Cant wait to hear how it works for ya!

jriggity

Darkstrider said...

Dammit Jeffrey! It's insidious.... every time I see the title of this post I get a Patrick Swayze song stuck in my head! I know, not quite the same... that was She's Like the Wind.....

Off the Shelf Productions said...

Ace idea to use photos of the lighting!

-Ben

Ubatuber said...

Yeah, yknow its funny you mention that song, I heard a rap/r&b cover of it the other day on the radio.....no joke.....really, someone actually did that....

Thanks everybody....still writing away....I realized I'll also be able to do a little mental run through with the 'script' afterwards to get a sense of length (probably 10 mins or so)....