8.08.2007

Vision Test

I shot a bit more and started working on the smoky visions sequence. Voice tracks are proxy, there's a lot of noise, and I sort of put my wife on the spot and made her read her lines for the scene because I needed the timing to start futzing with the effects. Originally I planned on shooting stop-mo footage for the flashbacks but then I started plugging in the comic panels and liked the effect, sort of an homage to the original work, by artist Reed Crandall. I'm not done yet, just rendered this clip to test things out. I may change the music too, from Kevin MacLeod at Incompetech.com, though I think it works. I realized after uploading that the sound is a little wonky, so you may have to turn it up a bit.


"Only Skin Deep" - vision test from Ubatuber and Vimeo.

5 comments:

Off the Shelf Productions said...

Love the Music, The Use of the actual comic is ace and time-saving too!

Darkstrider said...

Ah yes, but unfortunately copyrighted as well. In fact, come to think of it, the story itself is. Hmmmm..... does that mean you can't shop it around to festivals? Or sell DVDs?

Ubatuber said...

Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that. I considered the copyright originally, but since it was for SMS and my blog, and I wouldn't be making money off of it (more like a fan film) then it wouldntve been a problem....I didn't even think about future DVD compilations, or festivals, though....I'll have to do a little research I guess, and decide what to do...

Shelley Noble said...

Loved the way you used the comix, Jeffery. See what can be worked out as far as usage rights.

Sven Bonnichsen said...

My understanding of copyright is that whether or not you're going to make money off of a reproduction doesn't have bearing on the legality. For instance, if you copy a song off of a CD and then give it away to friends for free, it's still infringement.

Of course, the reality of the world is that someone actually has to catch you and prosecute...

But reading through festival submission forms at withoutabox.com (thanks Grant!), I'm seeing that a lot of them require you to sign-off saying that you've got rights to everything in your film... And they're particularly aware of how filmmakers these days are often using music ripped from movie soundtracks -- so the festivals specifically mention that you need rights to the music.

As to the *morality* of using copyrighted music for a fanfilm, I'm agnostic.

But in terms of my own work, I've always regretted that I wasn't more stringent in avoiding use of copyrighted materials when I made "Madness from the Sea." At the time I was hoping that it would fall under "fair use" -- but now I'm just too uncomfortable to risk showing it in public again.