9.05.2007

What About Herbie and Su??


I'm officially moving on, away from the EC story and its copyright issues. Over the past couple of weeks I've been developing an idea, using the Herbie and Su puppets, the three sets, and a couple of additional props. A month ago or so I did some lifecasting tests using alginate, made a clay cast of my wife's face. I've decided to use this cast in the new film, as the entrance to a 'cave'....I'm still working out the possibilities, story-wise, but I am drawing much inspiration from some classic gothic tales, all highly recommended reading, most available online (try Project Gutenberg for free ebooks)...

'The Great God Pan' by Arthur Machen
'The Willows' and 'Running Wolf' by Algernon Blackwood
'The Weed Men' by William Hope Hodgson
'The Yellow Wallpaper' by Charlotte Perkins Stetson
'Carmilla' by Joseph Sheridan LeFanu
'The Castle of Otranto' by Horace Walpole

Filming should take place throughout October (Monster Month!!), maybe late September. 'Til then I'll be hammering out the story in my head (while continuing work on Seaclops and Trolio)...right now I'm trying to figure out exactly what is in the 'cave' (treasure!)...I know that Herbie will sit in a cafe, rifling through an old manuscript......then he will steal something from the 'cave', awakening the giant(ess) face at the entrance, a la Hera's statue in Clash of the Titans, who in turn awakens.....something else.....to retrieve the stolen item..........I'm not being mysterious, I really haven't figured it out yet :) I also might try compositing my wife's real eyes onto the cave entrance when it awakens, like Madame Tutli-Putli.....

3 comments:

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Here's a crazy little idea... If you have a hard clay version of Lady Roche's face, you could make a silicone mold from it. (I'm guessing that the alginate mold has dried up at this point and is no good?)

Melt down your favorite oil-based clay in a double-boilder, and pour the soup into the silicone mold. Put it in the refrigerator until the clay's nice and hard -- then pop the face out. You use it as a starting point for doing some crazy clay animation.

...Actually, the more that I think about it, it might make more sense to make the mold out of latex... Do a few layers -- until there are no undercuts. Then you could make a plaster mother mold. Less expensive materials -- and it would make things a bit easier when you're removing the soft clay cast.

I'm imaging the face's mouth getting freakishly large as it howls in anger... Or the face cracking into pieces at the end of it all. Things you might not want to do with the hard clay original.

Darkstrider said...

Hey, cool that they're gonna get some screentime anyway! Ya multitaskin' moe!

Ubatuber said...

This clay mask isn't hard, its oil-based, van aken....I actaully have three, I was able to pull a second one from the alginate, plus a....special....third casting, which has some gears spinning in my head....more soon :)