11.26.2007

And You Thought Stop-Motion Was Old-School...

Since I started exploring stop-motion and animation (we've been together for about 2 years now), I've been wanting to try traditional 2-D animation. I'm developing a sequence in my new stop-mo short, "Unearthed", which will be hand-drawn, and yesterday I built my Table of Light using a cigar box (case?) from my wife's smoke shop....

Here it is filled with a bunch of her beading supplies.....


And here it is completed....

I removed the lid and cut a hole in the back for insertion of a light....painted the inside white and the outside black....added a sheet of thin plexi on top...took an old 3-hole puncher, removed the middle punch, punched a sheet of typing paper, registered the two holes on the box itself, nailed two nails there, et voila!
More on the 2-D sequence as it develops....

5 comments:

gl. said...

jeffrey, that's terrific! i love it!

Paul (Vortex42) said...

That is spectacular! Are you going to fashion a stand for it?

I have done a fair bit of 2D with fashioned Lightboxes that have bulky height... They are great to work with, but if you build a little wooden holder for it, to hold it at a comfortable angle on your desk you will find the experience much more comfortable on the old wrist (who want RSI!?).

These are good for having sat on your knee (but it isn't terribly comfortable)... but mounted up at a suitable angle on a desk... Great stuff!

It looks brilliant by the way! Very professional!

jriggity said...

nicely done man!

cant wait to see your 2d characters jump around the page.

jriggity

UbaTuber said...

Thanks peeps!

Paul, the box has an angled top already, a slight slope, maybe 30 degrees (wheres the little degree doohickey on the keyboard?!)....I was planning on just sitting it on my lap (in the recliner of course), seems to fit nice and comfortably but then, I havent actually drawn anything on it yet....if I need a stand I have an old TV tray that will work...I'm all about ghetto-fab recycling :P

Paul (Vortex42) said...

Well the lightbox looks great and I am looking forward to seeing what you do with it!