4.08.2008

Something in the Mist

I don't usually movie-review here on the blog but I'm so taken with a particular film right now that I had to give it a shout-out. After a freak storm, a group of folks are trapped in a grocery store as a strange mist descends, bringing a host of beasties with it. Frank Darabont's "The Mist" is like an old monster movie, and though Ive only seen the color version, apparently the B&W version is even moreso. There are a couple of scenes that were so Harryhausenesque that my face hurt from smiling (even as someone is being eaten by a giant featherless cgi buzzard). The acting is superb, the camera work brilliant. I am generally not a fan of handheld work, especially the emphasized variety, but here, with a cast of dozens, its almost imperative to have the camera constantly in motion, finding moments in each scene to zoom in or focus on. Its said on the commentary that the actors found it to be like theatre, in that they always had to be "on", never knowing when they might run into a camera or suddenly have a close-up. The effects are mostly digital and superb, from the folks who gave us the digi fx in "Pans Labyrinth", Cafe FX. And it had a gloriously dark ending, like classic Steven King should. If you haven't seen it yet, go rent it now. Me, I'll be buying the special edition set to get my hands on that B&W version....



And hey, while I'm at it......go check out the new trailer for Hellboy 2 from Guillermo Del Toro....all I could think about while watching it was that ole cantina scene, more creatures than you can shake a stick at....

4 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Wow, cool new trailer for Hellboy2! A few beasties not shown in the earlier one, and a few left out. Looks incredible.... and I can't help thinking it looks like Hellboy meets Pan's Labyrinth.

The Mist sounds good too. I recently saw The Descent, which was excellent in some ways, weird in others. I'd definitely recommend it though.

UbaTuber said...

Ive seen the Descent, I enjoyed it, and not just because of the bad-ass women :) The creatures were great, and gruesome, and terrifying...
I got the same feeling from the HB2 trailer...GDT usually makes one of two types of film: low-budget indie foreign fare like Devils Backbone or Pan, and flashy fun-violent hollywood fare like Blade 2 and HB1....but it looks like HB2 is a perfect blend of those two sensibilities, like he's finding a balance...wont really know til we see it in July...
I'll be picking up my copy of the B&W Mist today, will post about it later but apparently the creatures are especially beautiful b/c of the lack of color...cgi creatures (with the exception of LOTR IMHO) generally don't realistically reflect the light of a scene, or the subtle reflective colors of their surroundings, but in B&W it isnt an issue and the realism is amped up a notch...

Ryan McCulloch said...

Yes, that new Hellboy trailer looks so sweeeet, looks like he grew up after Labyrinth. Maybe I'll check the Mist out....

jriggity said...

yeah man - the mist was the fist steven king story I ever read.

I loved it..I also really liked the movie and got the 2 disc the day it hit the shelves.

I cant wait to watch it in black and white as well.

jriggity