6.24.2008

Doctor "Whoa"...

The Lady and I have been immersed in BBC telly for the last month or so, a friend recommended the series Torchwood to us and we started there. Torchwood is a spin-off of Doctor Who, a British icon that I was already familiar with from back in the day (I used to watch Tom Baker eps with my mum late at night on PBS I believe, when I was but a wee lad). I hadn't seen any of the new episodes though (the Lady and I dont have cable). So we rather quickly worked our way through 3 seasons of the new Doctor Who and the first season of Torchwood, mostly checked out from my local library. (I've bonded with my library since the storm, making weekly trips, generally checking out my maximum of 6 dvds and 6 vhs tapes. Their selection is impressive, and best of all, free!)


Torchwood is excellent, receives props from us for featuring a gay/bi? leading man who is heroic and strong and not defined by his sexuality. Captain Jack Harkness leads Torchwood, a group of alien hunters trying to protect Earth from invasion. Tons of atmosphere, dark, risque, and fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the second season, with a guest spot by Buffy's James Marsters (Spike).


But I've really fallen in love (again) with the Doctor. I haven't loved a show this much since Buffy. I've enjoyed every new episode of DrWho, and have even been blown away by a few, those written by Steven Moffat, who takes over as showrunner next season, woo-hoo! His episodes have been chilling, and he's really the reason I am writing this post. His eps "The Empty Child" (seas1)and "The Girl in the Fireplace"(seas2) both receive my highest praises (plus, Billie Piper as Rose, yum!), but his third season episode "Blink" is fantabulous, a must see for fans of animation, not that there is any animation in the ep, but there's something there thematically that I cant quite put my finger on, something about all the bits that go on between frames, in the blink of an eye to the beholder. Not to mention, there are stone women in it, statuesque weeping angels that have influenced my Unearthed cemetery set (I will try to recreate them as the gatekeepers to the grave that Herbie searches for. Makes me think about my Vanity Fairies also...) And if my praise isn't enough to inspire you, howzabout this? The latest issue of Entertainment Weekly asked Neil Gaiman to rate his top 10 monsters of the last 25 years, and he placed the Weeping Angels at #3. Get it from Netflix, disc 4 of season 3 of Doctor Who...


7 comments:

Darkstrider said...

Ace post mate!

I might have to visit the doctor.... nice to know he makes house calls thanks to Netflix.

Favorite shows....

Buffy and Angel, Xena back in the day, X Files, and my favorite that's actually still in production - Breaking Bad on AMC. Sometimes I like Rescue Me too.

Darkstrider said...

Oh, and how could I forget.... Deadliest Catch! Watching it right now, and forgot to mention it. Duh!

UbaTuber said...

Ya, ya, loved Xena (hated Hercules though), loved XFiles (while it was a Mulder & Scully show anyways)...Never seen Breaking Bad or Deadliest Catch...hey, googled 'em, Breaking Bad was created by a former X-Files writer/director, cool...loved Bryan Cranston in 'Malcolm in the Middle' too...

I am also a HUGE fan od horror anthologies, Twilight Zone, Tales From the Darkside, Fri the 13th the series (unrealted to the movies, about a cursed antique shop)...Monsters, Outer Limits, Ray Bradbury Theatre.....I know there are more :)

Darkstrider said...

Night Gallery... another Rod Serling show, scarier than Twilight Zone!

Breaking Bad.... man, I don't even know what to say. Best show I think I've ever seen. It really comes across more as a movie than a TV show (and I don't mean a made-for-TV-movie... I'm talking full-on, badass, pull-out-all-the-stops cinematography and content that knows no fear). Not on DVD yet, but can be DL'd on iTunes (definitely need to start with ep 1 if you want to watch it).

gl. said...

torchwood actually drives me crazy for several reasons (i cannot convey in this medium how -much- i hate owen's character, for instance), but i LOVE captain jack in dr. who and am surprised & pleased the bbc is willing to have a sexually ambiguous person as a star character.

and wow, blink -was- a good episode. :)

UbaTuber said...

Yeah, thats a complaint I have too, not so much that I hate Owen's character, but I hate that Gwen slept with him, I wouldve enjoyed more material between her and her husband that didnt involve her cheating (its so hard to find a cool happily married couple on tv these days, Wash and Zoe from Firefly are probably our fave)....On the plus side, I have a sinking feeling the turnaround rate on the Torchwood team is pretty high so maybe Owen bites it in season 2 (I heard several characters die, but Ive been staying away from spoilers)....I cant say i really love any of the characters with the exception of Jack and Gwen...the Capt and the Dr (and his sidekicks) do have excellent chemistry...

I love the Who ep with Giles too, he played a great smarmy villain :)
And I was completely creeped out by the little gas-mask boy in the Empty Child (Are you my mummy??)...good stuff...

Woolly Monster said...

Oooh, cool blog, only just stumbled across it. I will be checking in here more often!
It does amuse me that it's only non-Brits who think it's odd that the BBC used a gay/bi character in the hero role. The BBC have been doing that kind of thing for so long it barely raises an eyebrow in Britain!
TV in the US must be really conservative...