7.09.2008

Unearthed - Rockin' the Gates



I'm mostly done with the cemetery gate set...the left gate is glued permanaently in place but the right gate is hinged with armature wire to swing in or out (whatever feels more natural when I'm animating)....Herbie will smash the lock on the gates with a rock....the chain on the lock is rigged with wire so I can animate it slipping off of the gates and falling to the ground...the arch has given me a lot of headaches over the last few weeks, I tried a few different techniques (painted transparency, puffy paint, etc) to create it in one piece but it never looked right, didnt flow with the rigidness of the rest of the gate, so in the end I had to craft it by rigging many many bits of wire, all glued together like a house of cards, with sticker letters for the text....I've also created a little feline friend to sit guard at the entrance as Herbie approaches....

...few more bits to create for the main cemetery set, I'm thinking August will be the month for filming part three...Part four involves Herbie wandering through woods, which I will film in Sept, basically resetting a forest scene for a few different shots, some with broken plaster statues/columns/etc as he gets closer to the treasure of the living hill...I'll need to leave the forest set up for October, as I plan to resurrect the Tree Beast for Monster Month....*phew*....sounds like a good enough plan :)

5 comments:

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Beautiful work! That gate really turned out well!

(btw: Whether or not I'm doing Monster Month this year is now in question... More about that later.)

Shelley Noble said...

Holy Shazizzle! Jeff, that gate and set is a thing of BEAUTY! You are Rocking that Gate! Fantastic.

Darkstrider said...

Zees ees truly remarkable Jeffrey!!! You haff made great progress seence our last meetink! I note me zee crouchink figure, curled into zee classeek feetal position, and located tellingly right within zee protecteef enclosure off zee rounded belly shape!!!! Magnificent!!!

Ryan McCulloch said...

Great little details!

grant said...

ditto on the gate-work...and hooray for the possible return of Tree Beast!