8.04.2008

Unearthed - Arming the Angels

Over the weekend I molded my sculpt, applying four coats of rubber latex with a brush from Friday night to Sunday...I ended up going thick with the rubber, even though the description of the process I used as a guide (from "The Prop Builders Molding and Casting Handbook" by James) uses a thinner mold which can be peeled off of the sculpt like a sock....I worried about peeling because of the undercuts especially at the chin, and since we wont see the backs of the sculpts I didnt have to worry about a seam back there, so I went thicker with the mold and sliced it up the back to free the sculpt...then before pouring in the plaster, I wired the mold shut with twist ties and covered the seam with cool hot glue (didnt let it heat up all the way, worked well, peeled off easily after casting)...the wings were cut from a couple of cheapie garden sculptures, just to save time...they ended up taller then I'd like so I need to shave and sand down the bottoms to cut down on the height....more coming soon...

2 comments:

gl. said...

"arming the angels" cracked me up: it doesn't mean what i thought it meant! ;)

Darkstrider said...

... Which raises the question, what does the well-armed angel carry these days? Rocket launchers? Anti-ballistic missiles? Maybe the ever-popular derringer tucked into the garter?

I don't know, but those wings look cool as hell!