9.17.2008

Unearthed - Herbies Broken Arm

Well, it was inevitable, sooner or later it had to happen....the other day, while handling Herbie, I noticed his right arm was loose. A peek inside revealed a broken wire. He's got two wires twisted in there, and only one is snapped at the elbow, so I think I can get away with the cemetery shots with a slightly limp arm, but sooner or later he'll have to be re-armatured, possibly even recast (I'm not sure how difficult it will be to slip the old Herbie-skin onto a new armature, I imagine he may end up unusually lumpy in places he wasn't before, we'll see)......


4 comments:

jriggity said...

That right there is one of the MOST annoying parts of stopmotion to me.

I HATE when my puppets wire break!

sorry dood....I too have animated with broken limbs more than once to finish a shot.

jriggity

Darkstrider said...

Hey, couldn't you just surgically cut away the foam for that entire area, twist in some wire, firmly anchored at both ends onto the unbending bone parts, and then use some urethane (cushion) foam as plasti-flesh? The whole area is hidden inside a sleeve, so it won't show. I'd opt for repair before replacement.

Also, glad to hear from you. I was getting a bit nervous on your behalf since we hadn't heard a peep from you since pre-Ike. I know it was diverted away from you, and apparently downgraded to a mere "Tropical Depression" (didn't seem to help the people of Galveston though).... but still, I didn't know if maybe there was some rough weather that might have hit you anyway. Hopefully Herbie's broken arm is the worst damage you suffered.

Sven Bonnichsen said...

little black tears

I feel your pain, bro!

UbaTuber said...

Thanks for the comments guys...Mike, yup, we are a-ok, just trying to deal with getting back to normal after the evac...I spent my day off this week in line for a temporary food stamp card, good for this month only, to replenish our fridge (yahoo!)....we did have another power outage due to Ike, just from the winds as he passed us by headed to TX, yikes!....
Svengali, bro, that is the first post I ever read at Scarlet Star Studios, and I almost linked to it in this post, but I was just too lazy at the mo to go and find it :)