10.04.2008

MM2008 - The Mossman Cometh


Meet the Mossman! He towers over Herbie and the cemetery set, my largest pup yet, approx 13". He's got a basic wire armature, covered in upholstry foam, wrapped in athletic bandages for shape, then coated in hot glue and mossed up. The hot glue made him stiffer than I'd like, but I think once it cracks (or I cut it) near the bends and crooks of his body, he'll be loosier goosier. I'm not done with his head yet...

In Unearthed news, I got about 10 seconds into the gate sequnce and Herbies one-wired arm broke completely....I opened up the foam, tried to reapply the epoxy putty bones with a new piece of twisted wire between, from bicep to forearm, but it didn't hold....so now I've rigged a quick fix, jammed a piece of larger armature wire up his sleeve to act as a splint for the last 5-6 seconds of the shot....

Then I strike the set and set up the MM Pumpkin Patch...
---edit---
Splint successful! Sequence shot! Set stricken! :::)

4 comments:

jriggity said...

Ha!

great puppet man!

and excellent fix on the arm....we do what we gota do in this stop mo madness.

jriggity

grant said...

The Mossman and Treebeast...now I have two favorite uba puppets! 8-)

Glad the splint worked out for your puppet's arm.

mefull said...

Fantastic Mossman puppet Jeffery!

You are brave to try and fight the Kong mystery wind effect.

I am looking forward to seeing how it comes out, cool that your pup's are growing taller.

I would like to hear which you think is easier to animate-- Big or small?

Bummer about the broken arm, are you using twisted armature wire or thread wrapped bundles of wire?

Looking forward to hearing tales from the Widow Legrasse.

Mark

UbaTuber said...

Thanks yous guys...
Mark, I bought some spray adhesive to try to limit the amount of giant fleas rustling around in Mossy's moss...we'll see how it plays out...
I'm still twisting my wire (I know, I know)....
And I can tell you, animating the tiny Herbie is a nightmare that I will never revisit :::) I expect the bigger pup to be easier to animate, but the set will have to be larger too.....I'll post about it after Ive actually animated Mossy....