12.05.2008

Unearthed - Herbie's Head

I can't go on with Herbie's arm the way it is, I've tried repairing with no luck. He definitely needs a new armature, which means new casting. I don't really have the time (or patience) or money for foam latex right now, and I'm anxious to get him fixed, so I decided to try and pull a sculpey head out of the mold. Slapping clay into both sides of the ultracal mold and squashing it together didn't work, but I wasn't expecting it to, both halves were sticking, so I had to pull them out separately, smoosh them together and resculpt a bit at the seam. I haven't baked him yet, haven't made the new armature, but I think he'll work out just fine for now.....though I will need a new foam version in a few months, because Herbie spends the last few minutes of the short in his "PJs", shirtless and boxers. (When this all started, "Unearthed" was actually supposed to be a Tales From the Crypt story adaptation, and in that story, Herbie spent some time in bed with a "beautiful" woman ;) Since I had already sculpted him shirtless, and made the bed prop, I decided to work those elements into the new story when I came up with it, so at the end of Unearthed, Herbie will be woken from a deep sleep by the sound of pounding, getting louder, until the stone giantess' arm crashes through his bedroom window......



In other news, I'm finally devoting myself to SMA (StopMotionAnimation.com)....I'm always overwhelmed when I try to throw myself into the forums there, I never know where to start, but I've got to start somewhere...I'm going to make a concerted effort to pop in regularly to share with and support my fellow stop-moes. Call it an early New Years resolution :) Plus, there's a special little Christmas project that I'm working on for a special Lady, and I don't want to post about it here in case she pops in ;) So I've decided to make this Sunday "SMA Day"...

No comments: