7.31.2008

Unearthed - Angel Sculpt

I made great headway yesterday with the angel tombstone sculpt, here it is thus far...

7.30.2008

Unearthed - Tombstone Angel

Next up for me is completion of the main cemetery set for Unearthed. Alls I've got left to do is sculpt the tombstone angels. I'll be soft-molding them with latex probably, it'll be my first real attempt at molding soft/casting hard...finished casts will be plaster, I'll pull two angels from one mold because the second statue will be broken up and strewn about the grave site, so I can just use the same sculpt for each of the two tombs...then once I cast, and dress the set with them, I'll be ready to film....

7.22.2008

No Dead Artists

I've got a few more days to work on my submissions for the No Dead Artists show at Jonathan Ferrara Gallery. I'm just about done with my blocks, which means I can start printing in the coming days.....here is a mock-up of what the finished print will look like...
....the black bits are block #1, an actual print from the actual block....I then added my sketch of the angel in Photoshop, to play with composition a bit.....angel is block #2, still being carved...

I have the weekend off, from the evil bill-paying retail job, and may have enough time to hustle and complete the troll painting....submission app needs to be in the mail on Monday...

7.09.2008

Unearthed - Rockin' the Gates



I'm mostly done with the cemetery gate set...the left gate is glued permanaently in place but the right gate is hinged with armature wire to swing in or out (whatever feels more natural when I'm animating)....Herbie will smash the lock on the gates with a rock....the chain on the lock is rigged with wire so I can animate it slipping off of the gates and falling to the ground...the arch has given me a lot of headaches over the last few weeks, I tried a few different techniques (painted transparency, puffy paint, etc) to create it in one piece but it never looked right, didnt flow with the rigidness of the rest of the gate, so in the end I had to craft it by rigging many many bits of wire, all glued together like a house of cards, with sticker letters for the text....I've also created a little feline friend to sit guard at the entrance as Herbie approaches....

...few more bits to create for the main cemetery set, I'm thinking August will be the month for filming part three...Part four involves Herbie wandering through woods, which I will film in Sept, basically resetting a forest scene for a few different shots, some with broken plaster statues/columns/etc as he gets closer to the treasure of the living hill...I'll need to leave the forest set up for October, as I plan to resurrect the Tree Beast for Monster Month....*phew*....sounds like a good enough plan :)