9.22.2009

Dorian Gray Animated

Finally, here is the animation that I submitted to the Art-in-a-Box show. I am not pleased with several aspects, mainly the de-aging of the portrait, which was much more difficult than I thought it would be. I ended up with only 2 sec of animation, painted too many/too big brushstrokes per frame and finished repainting it entirely too quickly, but I was trying to make the July 30 deadline and did not have time to repaint and reanimate. This is really the first time that I've incorporated "live action" shots (the curtain coming down, for example) and I'm not sure how I feel about them. I love the look but somehow feel like I've cheated :)

Enjoy!

The Picture of Dorian Gray from Ubatuber on Vimeo.

7 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

Wow congratulations, Jeffery. Your work is so good. The new--I forget the term--the Ubatuber production mini film looks so fabulous. You should be proud. I love the titles on this film and the direction you had, especially at the start.

I think what's really cool is that you made the box as fine art and the film with it. Which is my dream to do too.

And you did it!

UbaTuber said...

Thanks Shelley, I loved animating the titles. I wanted to use the same font for the "written by adapted by" part, so I wrote them out in photoshop, white text on white background with green stroke, then slowly colored them in a dark brown snapping frame-by-frame, then used a chromakeyer to remove the green outline in the rendered clip, and a second chromakeyer to remove the white, so all that remained was the dark brown....

UbaTuber said...

I shouldve said I printed out the green outlined text on white paper, and colored the words in like a coloring book...

mefull said...

Hey Jeffery

Congrats, another one in the can. It looks great. When you think about it, all stop motion is a cheat so throwing a bit of live action in is no problem. I think it blends great.

The title and Ubatuber production bit really works well -nice job.

Mattson Tomlin said...

wow. very impressive stuff. especially working on a deadline. I couldn't imagine animating against a deadline. pretty blown away by that alone.

people in gorillasuits said...

and another great work from ubatuber is in the box... It was a pleasure to watch the box develop and I am impressed, that you really made it to the deadline including the animated film - which I really like. The mood is set, the story told in a few shots (little words) and all works out very good.

Congratulation and as always my deepest admiration !

objectsatrest said...

hi jeffrey. another great animation! i really enjoyed it. wonderful detailing, lighting, and storycraft. i also thought everything blended together nicely.