Cemetery Lit (Mostly...)

I'm just about done figuring out the lighting on the cemetery set, I'm still working with miniature "Christmas Village" spotlights, which you can pick up now while the holidays are in full swing, if you're interested in testing them out. They are fantastic moody little spotlights, I've used them and only them to light all of Unearthed so far. I sprung for a plug-in adaptor for them as well, so I wouldn't have to worry about batteries fading (bonus: each adaptor can power 3-4 sets of lights). On the setup below, I have a few lights mounted to strips of wood that are attached to the underneath of the set floor, holding them about 8" out form the set. Also attached there are the battery packs for each set of 2 lights, for easy access to the on/off switches and less fumbling through cords when I'm ready to animate. I also have a couple of lights mounted higher, one on the very tip of the brick wall and another on a gauge. They swivel somewhat loosely so I've used wads of clay to hold them in place. Alls I have left to do is secure a couple at the back of the set to light Herbie as he walks down the path between the angels. In previous shorts I have changed lighting around depending on the shot, but with Unearthed I have tried lighting the sets as a whole so I can run through my shots without having to change anything around. I may need to add a spotlight on a close-up of Herbie here or there but it should pretty much work as is (I've positioned Herbie at key points on the set to make sure he is well lit).


Unearthed Again

Hello Dear Reader! I am long overdue for a post so here I am, checking in. While it may not seem like it here on the blog, I am always working on something. I have a tendency to have several projects going at once and they all take enormous amounts of time to complete because my muse has many shifting personalities and I am at her whim :) For the last two months or so, I have been trying to turn my Nola Legends series of paintings into a children's book, designing layouts, writing poetry, researching self-publishing. My original goal was to have a hard copy in my hands by Christmas. My Lady has convinced me to slow down a bit on it though. I think we both feel that this could really be something special and she wants me to sit on it for a little while, get some distance before committing to anything. Maybe in a month or three I'll want to reword something or change a font, etc. I want it to be the best it can be, so I think she's right. Don't rush it because of a self-imposed deadline. I can share here, though, that I was a bit stuck on how to make the whole thing gel until she had the idea of resurrecting RJ Legrasse, my bayou fisherman alternate persona of Monster Month South fame, as a sort of narrator, and things really took off from there.
That being said, the change in weather has caused my muse to change personalities a bit these last few days. I've been cleaning the studio, packed away the Seaclops and Mermaid for now, and have re-set-up my cemetery set for the next scene of Unearthed. I have the "stopmoshorts" film bug. Last night I figured out how to transfer my StopMotionPro license to my laptop, worked out some video-capture kinks there, and am now ready to animate without being tied to a computer desk, which will be nice. Once I get the set lit, and revisit the storyboards, I'm ready to move on with the next phase of the short, which has been in production since 2007 (my, how the years fly by). So stay tuned, exciting things happening...