11.10.2010

Unearthed Again

Hello Dear Reader! I am long overdue for a post so here I am, checking in. While it may not seem like it here on the blog, I am always working on something. I have a tendency to have several projects going at once and they all take enormous amounts of time to complete because my muse has many shifting personalities and I am at her whim :) For the last two months or so, I have been trying to turn my Nola Legends series of paintings into a children's book, designing layouts, writing poetry, researching self-publishing. My original goal was to have a hard copy in my hands by Christmas. My Lady has convinced me to slow down a bit on it though. I think we both feel that this could really be something special and she wants me to sit on it for a little while, get some distance before committing to anything. Maybe in a month or three I'll want to reword something or change a font, etc. I want it to be the best it can be, so I think she's right. Don't rush it because of a self-imposed deadline. I can share here, though, that I was a bit stuck on how to make the whole thing gel until she had the idea of resurrecting RJ Legrasse, my bayou fisherman alternate persona of Monster Month South fame, as a sort of narrator, and things really took off from there.
That being said, the change in weather has caused my muse to change personalities a bit these last few days. I've been cleaning the studio, packed away the Seaclops and Mermaid for now, and have re-set-up my cemetery set for the next scene of Unearthed. I have the "stopmoshorts" film bug. Last night I figured out how to transfer my StopMotionPro license to my laptop, worked out some video-capture kinks there, and am now ready to animate without being tied to a computer desk, which will be nice. Once I get the set lit, and revisit the storyboards, I'm ready to move on with the next phase of the short, which has been in production since 2007 (my, how the years fly by). So stay tuned, exciting things happening...

7 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

That wife of yours is smart! Way to go. All sounds well!

mychæl said...

I am really looking forward to the childrens' book - I really like your colour palette, and I am very interested on how it will turn out in illustrating a children's book.

I found taking a run-up as a quite well matching phrase for letting things rest a bit, taking a distance and then finish the whole thing. Same thing works out for cooking too ! Some dishes taste better when you let them rest over night.

Oh, and the "Unearthed" set... it's November, and the cemetary set becomes alive ! ALIVE... !!!

All the best !

Sven Bonnichsen said...

We, the puppet conspiracy, will NOT let Facebook kill our stopmo blogs! Say it with me, brethren!

Looking forward to seeing Unearthed again. :-)

I think you're going to like animating with a laptop for your framegrabber. It just makes so much sense, when you have to work your way around three-dimensional sets.

Hey -- out of curiosity: How many shots are there in the Unearthed storyboard?

UbaTuber said...

Oh gosh Sven, that is a loaded question :) I have 8 sets left to film on with about 25 shots to go total, including some long ones, but thats based on my rough storyboards which are constantly in flux and will probably change, especially considering how long they've been sitting. Plus the improvised close-ups or fill-ins or transitions that I haven't thought necessary yet but will realize I need as I am editing each scene :)

The remaining sets are:
cemetery, woods, cliff, buried stone goddess, tunnel, cave, pool, and Herbie's bedroom.

UbaTuber said...

Oh yeah, plus the 2-d animated sequence which bridges the gap between the cafe and the cemetery gates.......might try shadow puppets for that...

Sven Bonnichsen said...

Oh... Sorry -- you're right -- that sounded like a loaded question.

No judgement intended. The number of shots in a film is just something on my mind lately...

I want to start evaluating my own film ideas in terms of # of shots, rather than minutes/seconds of footage. It seems like it might be a better gauge of how complicated a project's going to be.

I know Grant put in some time at one point counting the number of shots in a particular film... I haven't got there quite yet, but begin to see what could be learned.

UbaTuber said...

No, thats ok, I just meant there wasn't really a simple answer. I probably wouldnt be able to say for sure how many shots are in one of my films until I was decidedly finished filming/editing.

I tend to think in terms of set pieces actually, which I'd never really considered before...then I have an overall sense of what needs to be accomplished in each scene on set, and do rough storyboards based on that visualization. And most of the time I scratch down other images or ideas while I'm actually filming, and end up adding shots...