9.28.2011

Marionette - Waist Up...

Been busy cleaning the studio (again....how can so much crap accumulate so quickly?  Am I a creative hoarder?)  Also progressing nicely with my first marionette!  She is done from the waist up (minus hands, 'cause I'm afraid of hands, but they'll get done eventually....probably last :)  I am loving the amount of detail required to build one of these pups, I may end up having to add lead weights in places like the hips to make sure the weight is distributed evenly.  Right now she sort of leans forward a bit, due to the heaviness of her solid arms and breasts as compared to her hollow chest cavity.  I wont know for sure until I string her, I suppose its possible to adjust her stance with the tightness of the strings (she will be strung at the ears, shoulders, wrists, knees, and possibly somewhere at her back).  Her shoulders joints are leather cord anchored inside her torso and strung through her shoulder, tied at the outside, knot secured with glue.  Her elbows and wrists are strips of leather glued into slots carved into her arms.  More coming soon...

6 comments:

Shelley Noble said...

So fab! Go to town! Get out of town! This pupp is coming along beautifully!

UbaTuber said...

Thank you Shelley :)

jriggity said...

how fun man....I too have been tinkering a bit with a live action puppet..

how nice to see your work here.

jriggity

UbaTuber said...

Cool, Justin! Can't wait to see what you're cooking up. I'm loving the idea of bringing my puppet to life as soon as she's done, even while I'm still working on her....bit different from a stopmo pup

Anonymous said...

what material you use?
thanks!

UbaTuber said...

I'm using a water-based air-dry clay. Its actually turning out a lot heavier than I thought, so we'll see if it works out ok once she's all strung :)