3.02.2013

Makings of a Dryad

One of my backburner projects is a sculpture of a dryad(s) assembled from oak tree branches and pieces parts that have fallen in my yard.  I have been collecting them for about a year.  I think I may get working on it as my submission to this year's "no dead artists" show at a local gallery.  I submit every year but have never been selected.

Yesterday I was investigating a large branch that fell during hurricane Isaac last year, and discovered an amazing pattern under the bark in places...possibly new knots beginning to form? I think this will be worked into the "hair" of the carving.  Beautiful unnatural natural pattern.  Amazed by nature as always.

1 comment:

Shelley Noble said...

What a spectacular find! I thought it was the face of the sculpture, like half tree half person. Extremely cool!