9.01.2015

Ten Years Later....

Last week saw the anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the impetus for my stop mo adventures.  This is what I posted on Facebook:

" Ten years ago, a storm rocked my world. My queen and I watched from a distance as our city drowned and burned, and in the back of my brain, a story began to brew. In the months following Katrina, I poured all of my angst and anger and hurt into a monster in my mind, and Jenny Greenteeth was born. I began to research stop motion, and along the way made some wonderful online friends who became essential to my recovery, while my city recovered. I started blogging. Discovered StopMoShorts visual haikus. Realized I had a lot of stories to tell, and that I could do it from a dark little corner of my kitchen.
So much of my Jenny G story is a morbid fairy tale version of Katrina. The monster, Ms.Greenteeth, the hurricane personified, with her single eye, the eye of the storm. A doomed little girl named Nola, caught in her destructive path.
Now a decade later, now that I know how to make a puppet, how to shoot frames, import and edit, now that I have a handful of short films under my belt, I think its finally time to let the monster out. Time to focus on the film that has been swimming 'round my brain all along. I hope you will join me on this journey. Just don't get too close to the water......."

So....I have been slowly and periodically hammering away at my tiny stop mo Krampus PSA.  My studio is a hoarders dream of a mess right now and I cant even get to my animation table (the little filler shots that Ive done for Krampus have been squeezed into whatever tiny spaces I could find....one shot was even balanced on my painters easel lol).  So Ive got some cleaning to do, some organizing, one or two hefty shots left on Krampus, and then I am putting Unearthed on hold to officially begin work on Jenny G!  Its been a long time coming and I cannot put it off any longer...


4 comments:

Darkmatters said...

*"Many miles away something crawls to the surface
Of a dark Scottish loch... "*

Er, make that the Gulf of Mexico I suppose! Is it synchronicity that made us both decide to dust off our sets at the same time? And meanwhile Shelley has ben putting us all to shame working away tirelessly in Halfland, Today is the first time in a long time that I've looked at my Darkmatters blog, and I had to make the quick rounds of my blogroll and visit all the old stopmoe sites.

Can you explain what you mean about shots sitting around? You've got me picturing little strips of film hanging off clotheslines. My shots are all on my computer and on an external hard drive - I couldn't figure out out how to take them out and place them on easels...

Darkmatters said...

Ok, I think I get it now - you mean you did the shot somehow balanced on your easel? Or - the puppet was balanced? The camera... I'm still lost!

You know, I just realized - when I first joined SMA it was only a few weeks after 9-11. The world was still reeling from it and the future seemed pretty unsure. Weird that both of our stopmotion careers were jump started by massive tragedies.

UbaTuber said...

Yes, Shelley is indeed putting us all to shame :)

Synchronicity, yes, or something in the water....

I love clearing out my studio, going through layers of past projects like peeling an onion :)

As for the easel shot, I had a small piece of cardboard strewn with moss for grass, clamped to my easel with the puppet glued on. Whole thing was very wobbly and tilted so I had to tilt my camera to match :) You know you're ghetto when...

Darkmatters said...

If your house is trashed but the only part you care about is what's right in front of the camera in your studio - you might be a Stopmoe...